Ivarsson Inspired Cutty

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DMI

Ivarsson Inspired Cutty

Post by DMI »

I had been looking at Sixtens pipes on Pipendoge and liked the flow of his pipes, the Cutty/Horn in particular caught my eye and this is the resulting pipe. Once the pipe was finished I found one almost identical here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8583759@N05/3981616330/

Briar: Juame
Stem: Delrin/Janzen Ebonite with briar ring.

David.
bandkbrooks

Re: Ivarsson Inspired Cutty

Post by bandkbrooks »

Man that is cool. The only thing that stops my eye is the bottom of the shank/stem junction. It may just be the picture but it looks flattened out just ever so slightly. That is such a great interpretation of that shape.

I always feel guilty about putting the "extention on the tenon of the stem and not the shank itself. Not after this though.

BB
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Walle

Post by Walle »

Your´s is nicer, David.
Beautyful flow!
I envy you :oops:. *)

Cheerio!
Walle

*) I´m working on Cutties myself at the moment.
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Nice flow and a nice pipe. I'm going to suggest a minor change to take it from being slightly hornish to cutty proper, and that's just a hair more definition on the back/bottom of the bowl, just give it a little more of the shape you see on the front side -

It would mean refining the shank just a bit too. But I think that moves the pipe all the way in the direction it's headed.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

NIce. I really like the curve you put on the rim. Great looking pipe, man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Wow, David,
This is a beautiful pipe! Once again, you've made a pipe that makes me think twice about a shape I'm not initially drawn to. Honestly, though (and I'm hoping this comes across as a complement, because that's how it's intended), still, I don't know that it's the shape that draws me to this pipe. I think that's it's just a really nicely executed pipe, with nice lines and great balance. Speaking of which, to me, it doesn't look like this is a sitter but it looks like it' balanced enough to just "sit" on its own.

I really like the extension as well. Did you turn the tenon before adding the extension? Or, did you add the extension to your unfinished rod and then add a delrin tenon? Curious as to how you did this (and how adding an extension to a stem is done, in general).
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
VaVa-Bangkok

Post by VaVa-Bangkok »

David Great looking pipe you have make, the curve is very beautiful I want to hold it in my hand, - I think the feeling is good!!

Carsten
VaVa Pipe Bangkok - Thailand
http://www.vava-pipe.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Nice pipe, congratulations.
I must say the quality of the work, shown in this Forum, crafts aficionados, did not see anywhere else.
Greetings.
Felix
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

It is a beautiful piece of work!
The shape and grain are composed in harmony.

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
DMI

Post by DMI »

Thank you all for your comments they really are appreciated.

Band, the shank is oval which may be causing the flattening you are seeing.

Walle, I wish! I know the name and everything means a lot but the original is worth $3-5,000 I might be lucky and get $100 for this.

SAS, :thplt: Looking at the pipe in the flesh I don't see it but in the pics I do, maybe. I had originaly intended to undercut the chamber at the back creating a Cobra type thing but decided I liked the shape as it was.

Sorringowl, use an extra long tennon, face the end of the stem and one side of the extension and glue all three of them together, the other face can be turned square when the glue is set. Or you can try this:
ImageImage

The derlin is roughed with a rasp which makes lots of grooves, the drill bit keeps the airway aligned. The cuts are done on a bandsaw but you should be able to do it with a mitre saw, putting a slight flat on the rod helps a lot.

The pipe is not really a sitter but it rocks nicely, I had a team of top scientists work out the perfect cross axis curve to make it do this.

Sorry but I just had to. :twisted:

David.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Great looking pipe. I especially like ...everything about it. Shape, color, ring, stem, finish, name it. Just Great. I like the curve in the top of the bowl and the soft, I call it, rounded, not sharp edges at the rim of the bowl and chamber. Just Great. A hundred bucks? ...all day long.
M.M.