2nd pipe, 2nd post...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

2nd pipe, 2nd post...

Post by JMG »

This was the second legitimate attempt at making a pipe. It has it's host of issues, but has turned into a pretty decent smoker. Here are the problems I'm aware of. 1. Stem/shank junction could be better 2. Looking at the profile the rim of the bowl is rounded...this was not intentional 3. I wish I would have been more careful with the line where I ended the rustication and kept it level 4. The shank is too short. I accidentally cracked the shank when fitting the tenon and had to take some off of it. 5. The chamber is a little out of whack.

Any other critiques would be much appreciated. Again, many props to you guys...this is not an easy hobby.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sasquatch

Re: 2nd pipe, 2nd post...

Post by Sasquatch »

The lines of the stem and through the shank are wonderful - you've got the idea here for sure.

The bowl is pretty ug... well, let's just say it's not as good as the lines on the stem. :thumbsup:

I'm not fond of the chamber being de-centered in a shape as basically "ordinary" as this - so to my eye the extra material on the front side of the bowl has gotta go. The back side of the bowl presents as very straight and rigid and the front has kind of a plumpy curve, and this usually doesn't work, visually.

Rustication is one of those things. When I rusticate heavily, I get a lot of comments suggesting that I rusticate too heavily, or that the line between the rustication and the smooth should be sharper (or less sharp), or that I stopped it in the wrong place (or the right place). It seems very personal.

Personally, I don't like to see a "line" at the top of the bowl where it isn't rusticated, unless the rustication is very deep or an Underwood or Wax Drip type of carving. On finer rustication, I see it as a "whole thing" venture, possibly stopping at the top, and possibly going right across the top to the chamber (or the bevel on the chamber).

Or in the words of John Cleese:

"Now, before I begin the lesson, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now,-- "
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

overall, with those flaws you mentioned (that does not bother me that much - except the stem/shank junction), it is a nice pipe that has to be smoked with a very very nice tobacco that i see on your pic's ... :thumbsup:
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

Tending to shy away from rusticated pipes, this wouldn't normally please me, but that is a damn nice pipe that other than the off center bowl, could be stared at very joyfully.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Hey, John. I think I've said it before but, except for the shortened shank, I think this is a very nice second pipe. The flow is visually pleasing and the rustication is pretty good for a first attempt at rustication. I'm a bit of a sucker for this type of partial rustication and stain choice. You have some natural talent that just needs practice. Keep it up and you'll be making top notch pipes in no time.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com