3rd pipe, 1st post...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

3rd pipe, 1st post...

Post by JMG »

This is my third pipe, but my first one to post here. Due to my lack of skill, lack of patience, and just sheer aggravation with my own screw ups, this pipe almost ended up in the trash. I had planned on giving it to my uncle as a gift, but not so sure now. Anywho, here's a list of it's shortcomings that I'm aware of: 1. Stain job is pretty bad. 2. Stem shank junction is bad as well. Originally, I had a stem from an old beater pipe on here, but wanted everything to be new so decided to use a new premold that I had. Somewhere along the way the junction just got jacked up. 3. the bottom line of the pipe is off. The bowl actually dips down slightly lower than it should. 4. My pictures suck, sorry. This pipe doesn't warrant decent pictures though.

Tools consisted of: Drill press, vise, rasp, needle files, and sandpaper.

I know there are bound to be countless other things wrong with this pipe, so please feel free to critique away. Also, I have to say that I have a new respect for you guys. This pipe making stuff is pretty dern tough, :x ....but addictive, :lol:

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sasquatch

Re: 3rd pipe, 1st post...

Post by Sasquatch »

Dude that is not bad at all. Bowl shape is nice from the side (from the front it's a little assymetric and could use some tightening) but your shank is terrific and the transition looks pretty good too.

That's a very decent third pipe by anyone's lights.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Yup, terrific third pipe. Stem might be a bit too long, but a solid third pipe. Nice.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Sasquatch wrote:Dude that is not bad at all. Bowl shape is nice from the side (from the front it's a little assymetric and could use some tightening) but your shank is terrific and the transition looks pretty good too.

That's a very decent third pipe by anyone's lights.
Ditto. I don't know your uncle, so I can't say for sure, but I think he would be very pleased with it, handmade, by his nephew. Probably.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Yup, terrific third pipe. Stem might be a bit too long, but a solid third pipe. Nice.
I think this sums it up pretty well. Touch too long on the stem but overall I think its a lovely pipe, the shaping is nice and even, not heavy and clunky like most "early" pipes. The stain job looks fine to me, the grain is nicely contrast, I can see any scratches, could do with being a bit shinier but you are limited in tooling and I think you have done a fine job. Now give it to your Uncle and crack on with the next one :)
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I would add that the shank is a tad short, too. (maybe 1/8") Nicely done billiard.

Goes to show what Tyler was saying in his open letter, the tools don't make the pipe, they just help to make the pipe faster.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

JMG, this is actually REALLY nice shaping work for a third pipe. I think we have all seen far worse stem/shank junctions on 15th pipes, let alone 3rd pipes, and the bowl is very well defined.

I'm actually quite impressed. :wink:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

kkendall wrote:I would add that the shank is a tad short, too. (maybe 1/8") Nicely done billiard.

Goes to show what Tyler was saying in his open letter, the tools don't make the pipe, they just help to make the pipe faster.

Hmm yes now i look at it again i think you are right, the shank could be a little longer.
adryazad

Post by adryazad »

nice work! ..

I think the staining is fine, and you're too hard a critique on yourself..
However, i don't know if its my eyes being tired or just plain deceiving me.. but i feel as if the bowl isnt really 'level'

cheers,

Adry
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for the compliments and critiques guys. Hopefully, I will be able to produce some quality pipes somewhere down the road. Starting off I really had no idea how detail oriented making a pipe is, :banghead: I've stalked most of your websites for some time and really admire the quality of your guys' work.

adryazad wrote:nice work! ..

I think the staining is fine, and you're too hard a critique on yourself..
However, i don't know if its my eyes being tired or just plain deceiving me.. but i feel as if the bowl isnt really 'level'

cheers,

Adry
Are you talking about at the rim? If so, I think I see what you are talking about. In the picture it looks as though one side is higher than the other, weird. I guess this is just in the picture...looking at the pipe now it looks ok (hopefully it's not my eyes tricking me.)
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

Well executed classic design, I think a cumberland stem would look great with this grain.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
Charl

Post by Charl »

Much better than my 3rd, I can tell you! Nice one, now for no4, and no5 and ...
Nate

Post by Nate »

As you've already heard from me, good job man! You seem to have adequately tackled a somewhat tough design and I think it looks sharp. Kepp it up!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Great looking pipe. I do see what was mentioned previously about the top of the bowl not being level. Great job overall.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com