2010-2011 Pipe In The Hat trade

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

2010-2011 Pipe In The Hat trade

Post by KurtHuhn »

All,

It is with great pleasure that I announce the 2010-2011 Pipe in the Hat Trade!

Unlike last year, we're not going to choose a theme for this PITH. Instead I'm going to choose the theme - Wallenstein! I had this stroke of genius in a recent thread, and when I asked Roger he was most amenable to the idea.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Roger Wallenstein, but if not, I urge you to look at his website:
http://www.blue-lobster-pipes.com/en/wallenstein.htm

His pipes are among some of the most unusual out there, and yet they still carry a sublime sense of balance and proportion. Combining his unique aesthetic with "the rules of art" (if you believe are any) is an example for artisans everywhere to follow. Roger has, in fact, been called insane for his style of pipe making (among other quirks, I'm sure). However if you ask me, he's my kind of insane, and has directly influenced my work in a number of areas.

So, if you choose to join this PITH, you will be asked to create a pipe that pays homage to Roger's work. Incorporate the sense of proportion and style, disregard "the rules", make an insane pipe, try to hit the high points that you identify with being uniquely Wallenstein, and lets see what we can do!

The goal of this PITH is to really test yourself and step outside your comfort zone. Even experienced makers should find a real exercise here, and will undoubtedly find great new ideas to build upon and use as an avenue of growth for their artistic style - even if they never make another "Wallenstein pipe" again.

Some of you may have been around the first time I suggested a "pipe in the hat" trade, but for the newer folks, I'll reiterate what one is:

A "pipe in the hat", or PITH as I termed it, is an idea that I blatantly stole from a knife making forum that I participate in. The post explaining it is this:
Andrew Garret wrote:The technical deffinition of a KITH is this: Knife In The Hat = A bunch of knifemakers agree on a theme if there is to be any (i.e., spring steels, Christmas, recycled material, daggers, arrowheads, etc., etc.) and a draw date. Each maker completes a knife by the draw date, and then the host draws names from the 'hat' to determine who gets which blade. The most common method (in my own experience) is to draw the names and make a list. Each maker sends his knife to the maker whose name appears below his on the list. The guy on the bottom ships to the guy on top. Done. Right? Not quite...

A KITH as it was conveyed to me is a modern adaptation of an old practice where guys at a job site would gather at lunch on Friday and throw their pocket knife in a hat, draw one out and that was what they carried for the rest of the week. Around these parts, the KITH evolved from an IITH (Iron In The Hat), where projects were kept very simple (arrowheard for example) to encourage participation.

In the end, a KITH is about community. It represents a challenge to new makers to do their very best work because they are sending it to someone who knows knives as well or better than they do. An honest critique can be a blow to a sensitive ego, but worth so very much in the development of a maker. For the ol' masters, it represents a chance to share years of accumulated knowledge and wisdom. For all, it represents a sense of brotherhood, sharing, and belonging.
And PLEASE keep in mind. ALL FORUM MEMBERS ARE WELCOME.

It doesn't matter if you've been carving for 5 years or 5 weeks, you should feel welcome to participate. If a pro or semi-pro joins in, he does so eyes wide open, and with the knowledge that he may get the work of a total noob. Maybe he's feeling as if this is some way he can give back to the community from which he learned, or perhaps he's trying to foster the continued presence of talented pipe carvers from around the world. Whatever the reasons, please don't be intimidated by it - the goal is to get folks learning, collaborating, and, most of all, establishing lasting relationships in this brotherhood.

I'm proposing that we set a deadline for completion after the New Year, perhaps January 31 to give folks enough time after the holiday to focus on their efforts.

So, who among you miserable competitors is in? :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Walle

Re: 2010-2011 Pipe In The Hat trade

Post by Walle »

KurtHuhn wrote:
So, who among you miserable competitors is in? :twisted:
Oh, that will be a hard challenge for me ...
Anyway, I promise to try my very best.
Could you, please, put me on top of the list, Kurt?
I might remain the only miserable one in the competition.
In this case I can keep the pipe, right?

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

I see myself as a miserable competitor!
I'm in :thumbsup:

That's an awesome homage to Walle!
Well thought out, Kurt!

eder.
Pipes of inspiration...
by Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I'm in!
DMI

Post by DMI »

Me in, but if we are going insane shouldn't Walle make a very sane standard billiard?

Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I'm in! Most likely be my first, second o third pipe but I'll give it a go :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

Im in but i have a couple dumb questions, what kind of material is that wood made out of, i know that it is a freehand style, i think, and could i make a pipe out of cherry or black wallnut seeing as how i am an unemployed father of one and that kind of wood is readily available to me?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

It's briar. But I don't think you have to replicate a Walle, just be inspired by him...
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

Sweet then i already have my pipe planned out in my head, im so excited for this, i hope it smokes good... :|
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

I'm editing this post to let you know that I changed my mind. I no longer care to take part in this. sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by mathias65 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

Ive been looking at a lot of his pipes and for most i have no idea how he drills the air hole for the pipe, are some of them done in two pieces and then joined? :?
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I am so bummed!! I have been looking forward to this since last year, but I have eight guys who ask me if I have their pipe done every time I see them. I guess it is good to be backed up, money in the bank and all, but I would love to participate. Maybe next year. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

pick me! pick me!
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I'm in .... looking forward to the challenge..
Charl

Post by Charl »

I'm in!
SWM

Post by SWM »

Well, I'm in - of course - how could I miss this one?

I'm very curious of everybody's ideas!

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Not sure I can do it justice but I'm in
Just when I get my head around trying to do "classics" you throw this at me. :banghead:
You don't have to push that hard to get me off balance ya know :shock:
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Count me in. I'm really exited about this!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

I am excited as well. Count me in.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Ahhh yes.... How can I refuse the chance to go insane and pay direct homage to one of my favorite pipemakers? I can't, count me in!

Cheers