Purchased my first Briar today; some issues/questions

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Dixie_piper

Purchased my first Briar today; some issues/questions

Post by Dixie_piper »

Bought myself what I believe to be a 1/4 bent billiard today (still working on noting the subtle differences)
It is a true blown "bargain bin" special. I had to wicker baskets full of pipes to choose from; $20 for "run of the mill," $30 for their special pipes. My cheap a$$ went with the $20 basket mainly because you could tell the "special pipes" had been smoked (yuck!)
Few questions;
1) could I buff the "swirl marks" out of the shoddy finish?
2) could I ease the draw by drilling the tenon hole a little larger (it has a very rough draw and the tenon hole is 3/16" at most)
3) will someone please kick me in the seat of my pants next time I decide to bargain shop for pipes?!?! lol
I'm wanting to work on this one, because even at a level below beginner I doubt I could make it any worse!

Oh, but the guy there recognized Kurt & Todd's names when I asked if they ever carried hand made pipes, to which he replied "cash up front, and talk to that guy over there" I think the other guy owned the place?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Re: Purchased my first Briar today; some issues/questions

Post by Sasquatch »

3/16" would be huge, but the draw shouldn't be rough. As for the finish.... you could sand it down and practice up, but that ain't gonna be a pretty pipe no matter what. Your pipe cost less than I pay for briar.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

okay, thanks!
I'm "guesstimating" on that tenon size, I could be wrong. Still searching the forum for some more of the basic info on tenon sizes and whatnot.
I did read that with factory made bent stem pipes the tenon is often times not center with the smoke hole on the shank. Gonna run a pipe cleaner through 'er when I get home to check for snags.
Oh, believe you me, this pipe's chances at being pretty are about like mine; it ain't happening! :lol: I honestly doubt that it's actually briar to be honest.
The finish just irks me, looks like the damn thing's calico, and it's much cheaper for practicing on. I mainly got the el cheapo grande for a visual aid (just the gist) and for smoking at work, around the fire, etc, etc. Not to mention, if I monk it up, I'm only out $20
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dixie_piper wrote:Bought myself what I believe to be a 1/4 bent billiard today (still working on noting the subtle differences)
It is a true blown "bargain bin" special. I had to wicker baskets full of pipes to choose from; $20 for "run of the mill," $30 for their special pipes. My cheap a$$ went with the $20 basket mainly because you could tell the "special pipes" had been smoked (yuck!)
Few questions;
1) could I buff the "swirl marks" out of the shoddy finish?
2) could I ease the draw by drilling the tenon hole a little larger (it has a very rough draw and the tenon hole is 3/16" at most)
3) will someone please kick me in the seat of my pants next time I decide to bargain shop for pipes?!?! lol
I'm wanting to work on this one, because even at a level below beginner I doubt I could make it any worse!
1) Maybe. If it has swirl marks, and is smooth, I would hazard a guess that it's lacquered. There's nothing really wrong with that on an inexpensive pipe if it's done well, but you can see what happens when it isn't. Got a picture to demonstrate?

2) By tenon hole, do you mean airway? If the airway is 3/16", that would indeed be a huge airway by most estimations. Typical airway size is 5/32", though 9/64" and 1/8" (quite rare) can be used. You might be able to get a get a better draw by drilling it out a little, but if it's bent and the airway in the shank and the airway and the stem don't line up, you'll get a restricted and rough draw. Also, a big cause of crappy draw is that the end near the button isn't properly funelled and smoothed. If there's molding flash or anything in there, it will make for a difficult draw.

3) Hey, we all start somewhere. There's guys who do nothing but recondition and resell old pipes and basket pipes, and a few are members of this forum.
Oh, but the guy there recognized Kurt & Todd's names when I asked if they ever carried hand made pipes, to which he replied "cash up front, and talk to that guy over there" I think the other guy owned the place?
In Georgia? What was the name of the place? (PM me if you want to keep that out of the public view)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Okay, I tried the pic thing through photobucket, still sorting through the FAQ to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Having to use my PDA to do it, so it's a real P.I.T.A.!!!
Anywho, the air way is 3/32" I believe, I know it is less than 7/64" (used my bits as a rough gauge)
My "plans" are as follows;
-Attempt to straighten the twisted stem (twists like a corkscrew) if possible
-Refinish the stummel and stem
-Work the bowl bevel level (divots roughly 1/16" all around it)
-May shape the bottom of the stummel, the "heel" (bottom of the bowl outside?) to center it
-If I can find out how to, try to correct the misalignment of the tenon/shank.
-The button end of the stem does have a few spots that catch the pipe cleaner, (as does the stem/shank junction in the airway) I would like to file the rough spots out. I believe (as Kurt pointed out) that may be the culprit for the shoddy draw, coupled with the misalignment

Never expected my first piping efforts to be working on a factory pipe, lol.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Oh, the tobacco shop was in SC. Piedmont tobacco I believe? They're life blood is Cigars, but fair selection of factory pipes. Didn't get any names, completely slipped my mind.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

My $20 pipe, and $5 baccy'

The crooked stem

The dark finished side
Chamber, camera didn't show flaws very well in finish or sanding
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
themathclub

Post by themathclub »

lol i was expecting quite a bit worse. the pics are rougher than the pipe looks. it seems that you did alright. what are you smoking in there? :?:
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

The pics sucked, need a better camera.
For now I'm smoking regular Largo, looking to get some G.L. Pease this weekend though
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
themathclub

Post by themathclub »

if you like aromatics, there is a shop in albequrqueueue... (ABQ new mexico) called stag tobacconist. they have an incredible vanilla mix called bosses blend that has the best blend with the least tounge bite, that i have ever run across, and best of all, it is only like 5$ an oz. they blend it there, so you may have to pay shipping but its well worth it. i have some relatives down there and they were kind enough to send me 3 oz. also in fort worth tx. there is a place called lake worth cigars that has some great shop blends for roughly the same price. aristocrat is a nice complex and mild blend. off topic, but thought u would like to know. :D

i live in the mountains so i have to mail order ALLL my pipe tobacco lol.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks! I'll have to check those out.
We've got a few tobacco shops around here, but only one that rates as much more than a discount cigarette store. I'm hoping to catch them open soon to give em a look see.
Thanks again!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)