Dumb question here; is it necessary to make a pipe 2 piece?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Dixie_piper

Dumb question here; is it necessary to make a pipe 2 piece?

Post by Dixie_piper »

As I've said before, I'm completely dumb on the subject of pipes, and have been "researching" them for a very short while.
My question is this; if I were to carve a pipe in one piece, in such a way that I could drill the stem hole through to the smoke chamber, would I be able to leave it as one piece?
I've smoked pipes before, I actually owned probably the simplest style ever created a few years back, but unfortunately, my painter found it, and smoked his "tobacco" through it so I gave it to him because I'm not a big fan of jail.
I do remember that it had a "filter" of sorts in the base of the bowl. Is there such a filter I could but to use in this one piece pipe? I have even considered adding a second screen between the smoke chamber and the stem (where the stummel would usually be) mounted vertically by way of wedging it. Tiny grooves on either side to hold it in place. Which, is only an idea. May prove pointless the first time you dump ashes and loose the tiny screen. I'm just hoping for some clarification, thanks!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Re: Dumb question here; is it necessary to make a pipe 2 piece?

Post by Sasquatch »

Screens of any sort are entirely unnecessary as far as I can tell.

Making a one piece pipe is basically identical to most of what happens on a "regular" pipe anyhow. But you don't make a seperate stem. All wood stummels get a tobacco chamber drilled in one direction, and an airway drilled in the other. You get them connected, and that's a pipe...
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thank you!
I've asked that question to many pipe smokers I know, and gotten a standard response of "....umm, I dunno.
Do you know what that "screen" I'm talking about in the bottom of the bowl is called? I would like to add that on this first pipe I'm about to attempt because it's for a friend who's a lightweight to be honest, lol.
I already forewarned him that this is a trial process, but he wants my first one for nostalgic purposes I suppose.
Although his "wishes" on the design I fear will be a pain in the arse; apple bowl with a churchwarden stem 8-10" long. He said a straight stem would suffice, even so I plan to try my hand (on scrap pieces at first) at the tea kettle trick I read of on here.
Thanks again!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Those are not typically used in tobacco pipes. I'm afraid that, for that screen, you're going to have venture into a head shop. Or find an online source - probably eBay.

The problem with them is that they're typically made of brass wire, since some alloys are brass and malleable and easily made into wire and formed into screen. Unfortunately, the most common forms of malleable brass alloy also contain lead - meaning poison to smoke from. I strongly suggest dropping the idea of using a screen, unless you can find some stainless steel screen somewhere - but even then I don't think you'd get any kind of benefit from it if everything else is well constructed.

But beyond, no. It is not necessary to make a pipe in two pieces. It's more common than one-piece pipes, but not strictly required.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

KurtHuhn wrote:Those are not typically used in tobacco pipes. I'm afraid that, for that screen, you're going to have venture into a head shop. Or find an online source - probably eBay.
Kurt, Kurt, Kurt... you're showing your straightness again! You buy those screens at the hardware store after you've swiped all of them from your parents' sink aerators. 'Cause that's what they are, you know. They go on the end of the faucet in that little screw-on tip thingy. Not that I'd know, of course (harrumph!), I just used to know some people who did.

But you're correct, no point using them with tobacco. :wink:
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks guys!
I was a lil apprehensive about the screen idea, but y'all have sold me on the abandonment of that idea, thanks.
On that same note, I'm pretty sure the screen in my old pipe (memory is fuzzy, had it many moons ago) was steel. I believe it may have been a "left handed" pipe when I bought it. Which, all of my things are "left handed" seeing as how I'm "right brained" :lol:
Thanks again for your help! I'm off to check on my "seasoning wood" for now...
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

If you are using screens in your pipes I can understand your memory being "fuzzy"

Lol
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Lol, that may be somewhat true. But that was many moons ago.....
On the flip side, I do have brain damage in "that area," car wreck, 8" skull fracture, etc, etc.
But I'll blame it mostly on the "filtered pipes," lol
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)