Looking for metal pipe bands

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Leanu

Looking for metal pipe bands

Post by Leanu »

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have been making pipes for a few months now as a hobby and am comfortable enough with what I am doing now to step it up a notch. I have seen some amazing pipes here at the forum, and was wondering where the best place is to find those pipe bands that so seamlessly bring the stummel and stem together. I have seen some on PME, but was wondering if there is somewhere that I could find some that are more like what I am looking for. I have even tried the local bohemian jewelry store!

Thanks!

Leanu
Leanu Calvin Eichelberger
ToddJohnson

Re: Looking for metal pipe bands

Post by ToddJohnson »

I think we would have to know what "more like what [you] are looking for" is.

TJ
Leanu wrote:Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have been making pipes for a few months now as a hobby and am comfortable enough with what I am doing now to step it up a notch. I have seen some amazing pipes here at the forum, and was wondering where the best place is to find those pipe bands that so seamlessly bring the stummel and stem together. I have seen some on PME, but was wondering if there is somewhere that I could find some that are more like what I am looking for. I have even tried the local bohemian jewelry store!

Thanks!

Leanu
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you're looking for sterling silver rings, you can find them at any one of the several dozen online retailers for sterling jewelery. Be prepared to look at a lot of ugly rings before you find ones you like. You can get everything from plain bands to Celtic knots to interesting filigree. These can cost anywhere from $5 to $150 depending. This is what I usually do.

Or, you can get metal tube and make your own rings. Nickel is usually best for this since it's hard and resists scratching, and it also resists tarnishing. You can get this stuff at McMaster-Carr, Grainger, and a handful of other places. You can also use brass or titanium if you like. And since there's no real rules, you can even use copper plumbing pipe/tube. I've done that a few times and, properly prepped, copper looks really nice. Nickel can be buffed to a mirror shine, though it already comes pretty much mirror polished. I've used brass a few times, but you (and your customer) have to understand that the brass needs protected or it will tarnish and corrode like a mother-effer.

If you're into metal casting you can cast your own from pewter, bronze, silver, or whatever melty metals you like. I've done this once, but it's so labor intensive for one-offs, that I haven't done it since.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Leanu

Post by Leanu »

Thanks Kurt, that is quite helpful.

I will look online for the proper bands, sounds like what I was doing with the local stores but with more options.

Don't think I will try casting just yet, one thing at a time!
Leanu Calvin Eichelberger
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Hi Leanu,

Did you already take a look on Pipe Makers Emporium?
http://www.pipemakers.org/bands.html

Cheers,
eder.

• • •
Image Eder Mathias
http://mrhydepipes.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I make my own from 0.026" sheet silver. Cut, roll, solder (with jewelers' hard solder, of course) attach, and buff. Engrave if desired.