10-10

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
T3pipes

10-10

Post by T3pipes »

Using a new tool (ie a new video camera) to show the work better, and obtain some knowledge.

Let me know-- A. thoughts on the pipe, and B. your thoughts on using video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Ur8YcvWak
T3pipes

Re: 10-10

Post by T3pipes »

Seems youtube is processing the video slowly :x
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

The video was fine.
Had you been working on your car, or making mud pies. Not to be offensive, but all I could see were some pits on the bowl rim and a dirty left hand turning a pipe.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Nice pipe, but the video is a bit dark and shaky, like maybe you had to hold the camera in one hand, and the pipe in the other. 1. More light. 2. If you can, set the camera on something, like a table, or a tripod and start it up, then use both hands on the pipe. And, yea, wash your hands, first, or get some gloves or something if that stain won't come off.
Well, it was just your first video, afterall.

Check this pipe dealer's site. He has similar video ideas:

http://www.qualitybriar.com/

http://www.qualitybriar.com/pipes/geige ... pipes-gp07
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Good idea.

I like how can get a sense for the overall pipe. I wish you would have slowed down and stopped on some of the various angles.

I liked the stained hands. You make a pipe, you get stained hands. Made me smile because its how my hands look when I make a pipe.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

What are you guys using to apply the stain, a wash cloth? I use a pipe cleaner and only the tips of my grasping fingers get stained when opening the bottle or the pipe cleaner eventually wicks the stain up to them.

Gloves are for sissies and metrosexuals with manicures.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I'm going to redo it in a bit, I found my old mini-tripod.

As for staining hands-- The stain turned out darker then I wanted on the final coat, so I used a terry cloth towel for an alcohol wash.

Normally I do wear gloves, but latex gloves make my hands break out if I wear them too long, and I ran out of the nitrate ones.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I like your video idea. I think the video could be improved with better lighting, contasting background, and if you held the pipe in profile for a short time. Maybe, you should set the pipe down and then reposition. So, we can get an unobstructed view of the pipe. Nice pipe.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Going to have to experiment some to get this down. This one is a bit better however. maybe :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWEmRFcWvGc
Uncle Arthur

Post by Uncle Arthur »

Lots better T3 . That pot turned out pretty nice. The grain is well displayed by your stain.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Anyone have some views on the stem length? It was pointed out during the creation process that it looked to long.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I think the stem is a bit long for a pipe with such a short shank. I would prefer if the taper began at the stem shank juncture. I think the untapered area of stem gives the illusion that stem is fatter than the shank. I also like a taper that is nearly straight as opposed to sloping toward the button. If I'm making a pipe with a smooth top, I turn the top before I do any other drilling and shaping. I can rusticate the rest if necessary. Although, I really don't have enough experience to give good pipemaking advice. Otherwise, I think it's a very handsome pipe. Stummel is nicely shaped. The finish displays the grain well and the acrylic has a brilliant shine. Nice work.
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

I like the video idea, T3, although I am not sure how many people here will take the time to do that. I like the pipe also. From my untrained eye I would say you have made a lot of progress, maybe because you are on your 10th pipe this year. I am on about 4 thanks to work and other commitments.

About the stem length, I hate to "Messer" up a post with ridiculous technical details but it does look a little long to me and I might mention that I have been scrolling around on here recently and reading up on the "golden ratio." Now, no one has explained just what can be considered "a" and "b" on a pipe as far as I can tell but for me if you consider the full length of the stummel here as "a" and the stem as "b" and assuming that "a" is about 3 inches, then the stem might look better at about 1.8 inches (3 divided by 1.8 = 1.6 or so). But that would make it pretty short so probably the shank should have been a bit longer. :?
Regards,
Tim
daniel

Post by daniel »

looks like you have made a symmetric bowl, congrats!
i didn´t get a good look of the stem, but at least its well polished.
i like the color.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I agree Tim, not as many people will take the time to look, but i felt a 3D look was needed on this pipe. I was unsure how the BUTT cheeks turned out, or if I missed something in the symmetry. I couldn't capture this with photos, and the lack of any negative input on the cheeks leads me to think they turned out OK. And thanks for the gratz Daniel.

The stem is (obviously) another concern I have. I also am not quite sure on the golden ratio, but I understand the concept.
The thickness of the shank and stem, and the wide bowl, made a shorter stem seem too short to my eyes.
This is one aspect of composition that I had not expected: wall thickness having such a huge impact on the profile of the pipe.

Until now, I have mostly made pipe shapes that i wanted to smoke, while learning the basic skills needed. I have a small collection now, and can rotate them out as needed, so I decided to start making "serious" pipes. Some may think I have discounted their advise in the past, but that is not the case. I simply file that information away till it can be used to greater effect, or don't change it so I can look back at it and avoid that mistake again.

thanks everyone.