My first (presentable) pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Anvil

My first (presentable) pipe

Post by Anvil »

I've been reading this forum for a while now and have been trying as many of the tips and tricks that I am capable at this point (and for which I am deeply grateful).

Please let me know what you think. I know the wood is not the best specimen in the world and the stem is a pre-mold but that is what I have to work with atm.
I think the stem is about 1/2 inch too long and my stem/shank junction is not the best, although I don't think it's half bad for doing everything by hand.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Sasquatch

Re: My first (presentable) pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, you're right - the stem is too long (or too short - 2 more inches and it's a demi warden). The curve along the bottom side is better than along the top - there's an angle change where stem meets shank at the top. But it tapers nicely from bowl to button.

The bowl looks really round on top, very nicely shaped (hard to tell with only one pic) but it looks like the sides are a bit flatter, and the transition to the shank is a little too sharp I think, a little too accentuated. If you smooth out the sides and kind of blend them into the stem just a bit more it would look a little less forced.

A creditable early pipe. We all have a drawer full of these! :D

I suggest, as I do to all, that you copy a pipe in your arsenal as closely as you can - a dunhill , a pete, a charatan.... try to get a feel for how these "classic" pipes manage to handle the elements of shaping and proportion.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

Here are a few more views

I think the sides just look flat in the first picture. I did notice that the back of the bowl seems a bit flat. I will have to agree with a lot of other new pipe makers like me who have posted pictures. You find a lot of things that you didn't notice when you see the pictures after the fact.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will try a poker or a billiard next.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah, from these pictures, it's clear that the back of the bowl is flattened and the joint between the bowl and shank is way sharper because of it. Have you got a round rasp? That seems to be the best tool for easily shaping that transition. (Easily overdoing it too! :thumbsup: )
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!