BBB Pipe question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Datagoblin

BBB Pipe question

Post by Datagoblin »

A friend picked up a pipe that has the following markings on the bottom:

M
BBB

The stem also has an 'M' on it right near the shank. The style I would say is a freehand & rusticated type...Not sure on the classification of the style to be honest.

If anyone has any information on it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Datagoblin
Last edited by Datagoblin on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: BBB Pipe question

Post by baweaverpipes »

I feel certain the pipe was made by Bubba's Beautiful Briar.
Bubba was a pipe maker, of note, hailing from Bogalusas, LA.
His father, Beaumont, was a mill worker that had made pipes as a hobby and Bubba wanted to follow in his footsteps.
The 328 has a special meaning:
Bubba had 3 sisters. 2 had children, with 8 being sired by Bubba and Beaumont.
I believe the pipe was made while Bubba was serving time for selling smelly ebonite.
Datagoblin

Post by Datagoblin »

I enjoy good humor as much as the next guy, hopefully someday soon I will hear some.

Im not trying to turn my question into an audition for Evening at the Improv, thanks for trying though.

If anyone has any helpful information, I would appreciate it.

Datagoblin
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I think Kurt needs to add an Evening at the Improv section in the Pipe Making category.

:endofmankind:
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Try checking out This Site for this and any possible future e-bay pipe investments.

On a side note, try not to dictate how a forum should be run on your second post. Someone reading this likely does know what the markings are, but won't say anything because you are an ass.
Datagoblin

Post by Datagoblin »

There is no tone or inflection in posting, so reading a persons post is static and a lot of times mis-interpreted. I think my response to his was in a similar vein, in humor.

However I feel the door swings both ways to the responder to a first post of a question. You can come off as an 'ass' even when your trying to be friendly. I didnt take it that way, so I responded in kind. Its like walking into an old-boys club and asking an honest question and the first response is someone 'cracking wise'.

However since I am a 'newb' to posting, I guess others feel they have the right to call someone an 'ass' for playing the game.

Not trying to start a flame war but just because I dont have any posts behind my name doesnt prohibit someone from being nice, warm and friendly to new-comers.

You throwing in and calling me an ass doesnt help either.

Thanks for reading my post, thanks for the link. Sorry for asking a question.

*mods feel free to close this thread, I dont think anything productive will come from it.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Datagoblin wrote:
*mods feel free to close this thread, I dont think anything productive will come from it.
Aww, comm'on, we got a very funny little routine from BAWeaver, no?

Gobs, you are not unwelcome but I think you kinda stumbled into the wrong forum, or at least the wrong part of the forum. Folks here are pipemakers first and foremost, so pipe making questions are readily fielded. There is a "Pipes" category and section that would probably be more amenable to the common "I found this old pipe and wanted to know more about it" inquiry. There are whole forums that are geared towards pipe collectors and yard sale rummagers. Here's one:
http://forum.pipes.org/~discus/cgi-bin/ ... discus.cgi
Datagoblin

Post by Datagoblin »

Yeah it was a good one. I have read these forums for a couple months, I know BAWeaver is a joker, I was not upset in the least.

Thats why I included the 'tone & inflection' addendum to my reply. No offense took until the peanut gallery misinterpreted my response and decided to start slinging mud. And not the good mud from Bogalusas, LA either!

Thanks for the link and the pragmatic reply, much appreciated. Sorry for posting my question in the wrong section!

For what its worth I craft pipes as well, for my own personal pleasure as well as commissions. However I am not a scholar when it comes to finding out information about different brands and googling didnt come up with anything except the name of the company that made it.

Again, thanks for the reply kbadkar, your a gentleman indeed.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Datagoblin wrote:Again, thanks for the reply kbadkar, your a gentleman indeed.
Well....that may be going a bit too far. I mean, they guy lives in LA... :P
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

BBB: " Best British Briar" is now a brand of the Cadogan Company (Oppenheimer group). American rights to use the brand name were sold to Wally Frank in 1980.
Founder of the brand in 1847: Louis Blumfeld. The oldest pipe brand name in the UK has been registered in 1876 (Blumfeld Best Briar)
Grading (ascendant): Own Make, Bold Grain, Best Make, Rare Grain
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I'd be Beaumont and Bubba's offspring that it is NOT a BBB (Britian's Best Briar).
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The pictures, now gone, indicated a hobbyist carver of some sort. It looked functional, but it wasn't a BBB despite the individual letter stamps on the bottom. The 328 might indicate 32nd pipe of 2008, or 28th of 2003 - maybe, but even that's a bit of a stretch.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

It might help if you posted some images of the pipe.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Given the style of writing/stamping it is quite possible the pipe is a BBB made by A Frankau in France circa 1900 or the small BBB pipe factory at College Pt. NY circa 1915 and not forgetting the BBB's made by Blumfield. The problem is that makers in several countries use the same markings and an abreviation can mean anything.

The Logo's & Markings site is a great help but with over 8,000 known makes it still has a long way to go.

Info from 'Who Made That Pipe' by Herb Wilczak & Tom Colwell
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

DMI wrote:Given the style of writing/stamping it is quite possible the pipe is a BBB made by A Frankau in France circa 1900 or the small BBB pipe factory at College Pt. NY circa 1915 and not forgetting the BBB's made by Blumfield.
The style of the pipe (pictures now removed) had nothing to do with those eras. It was a 70s pipe at the earliest.