Another Apple and Blown Glass

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
meathod

Another Apple and Blown Glass

Post by meathod »

I used old growth apple wood, from huge knots in the branches. The grain in the knots is really wild, i like it alot.

The stem is burnt bamboo, with a white mother of pearl tip, You can't see the pearlescence in the photo, but it's there in real life, ha. The bowl is hand drilled with a spoon bit, and finished off with a bocote rim. The opening on the rim is smaller than the bowl diameter. This allows me to tap out the ash, while keeping the unsmoked material still in the bowl...if i want... Plus, i think it looks neat.

The bottom is finished with sea snail shell, which i got from the beach many years ago.

The glass tubes are hard to explain. The smoke first travels into the smaller inner tube from the bowl. Then exits into the larger tube, and back down into the body, then into the stem. It sort of goes in a loop. This is an attempt to both cool the smoke, and catch ash. The swirling motion of the smoke is neat as well...

I finished it with linseed oil only, so if you see any shiny parts on the stem, it's just oil i haven't buffed off yet, not glue or anything like that...

I didn't put any oil on the natural areas of the wood, The natural lichen fungi should continue to grow, although very very slowly. Lichens can adapt so that they can utilize a few days of sunlight per year to continue growing. Although, i am unsure about this particular species...

I do however have the same wood that has been sitting in the garage drying for years and the lichens are still looking as good as ever. It's just a challenge trying not to damage them while working on the pipe...

and yes, it's pretty small, but i like them like that... ha.

I'd really like to get some comments, because i know there is tons of room for improvement... thanks!

The strange flow of this grain was complete luck, really happy with it... Too much glare in this photo though..

Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Nick

Re: Another Apple and Blown Glass

Post by Nick »

That is one crazy pipe! I like it!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Tobacco, huh? :roll:

TJ
Nick

Post by Nick »

Why. What would you put in it Todd?
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

ToddJohnson wrote:Tobacco, huh? :roll:

TJ
:ROFL:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Also, please donate to my "save the Lichens" campaign. To make a $10 donation just text "Lichens" to 420420. :D

Thanks,

TJ
meathod

Post by meathod »

ha, i really don't understand why this couldn't be seen as a tobacco pipe?

Is it the wool of my sleeve that screams pothead to you? Or perhaps the fractal avatar?

I'm not denying that i don't smoke other things, i do on rare occasions. But this pipe, along with mostly all of my recent work, has been geared towards tobacco.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here.

Also, i've only used this pipe once, to test it out, unfortunately i forgot to clean the sawdust out of the glass before glueing it into the wood :oops:

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like your work. It's kinda like the Picasso of pipes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

meathod wrote:ha, i really don't understand why this couldn't be seen as a tobacco pipe?

Is it the wool of my sleeve that screams pothead to you? Or perhaps the fractal avatar?

I'm not denying that i don't smoke other things, i do on rare occasions. But this pipe, along with mostly all of my recent work, has been geared towards tobacco.

Also, i've only used this pipe once, to test it out, unfortunately i forgot to clean the sawdust out of the glass before glueing it into the wood :oops:
Not so much one thing as what you might call a "composite picture." The wool sleeve, though, is a major tip off. :) I guess you could use anything for tobacco if you wanted. Also, I think the work is really creative and cool, but it's still a bit like saying "Check out my newest tobacco pipe:"

TJ
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

ToddJohnson wrote:
meathod wrote:ha, i really don't understand why this couldn't be seen as a tobacco pipe?

Not so much one thing as what you might call a "composite picture." The wool sleeve, though, is a major tip off. :) I guess you could use anything for tobacco if you wanted. Also, I think the work is really creative and cool, but it's still a bit like saying "Check out my newest tobacco pipe:"

TJ
Now THAT pipe is ugly! :lol:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

SimeonTurner wrote:Now THAT pipe is ugly! :lol:
Aaawwww, I think he's cute.

TJ
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think it's probably because most tobacco pipes aren't designed to be one-hitters. :D

Rad
meathod

Post by meathod »

The bowl size is deceiving in the photos. It's drilled at 9/16" which is only .3 cm less than some of parks pipes more ornate designs. The bowl is also about 1.7" deep.

I recently learned that a bowl size of 3/4" is best suited for tobacco, in terms of burn temperature, and taste. So, in the future, i'll have to experiment with that. Even if i have to pack half bowls, haha.

Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I'm lichen this post :mrgreen: <- and this is Mr. Green and he is lichen it too
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

Oh, and though most tobacco pipes have 3/4"-1" bowl diameters, some don't, like this one here, I almost thought of entering this into the PITH because it's a real nose warmer;

SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Is that what they call a blow fish shape?

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Vermont Freehand wrote:Oh, and though most tobacco pipes have 3/4"-1" bowl diameters, some don't, like this one here, I almost thought of entering this into the PITH because it's a real nose warmer;

Nice pipe... is it a Johnson?
daniel

Post by daniel »

meathod wrote:
I'd really like to get some comments, because i know there is tons of room for improvement... thanks!

?how could someone give you any kind of advices :D
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I enjoy looking at your pipes, but would not smoke them for one main reason, and one minor reason-- main reason is the tobacco chamber is too small. It seems they would be really short smokes, and the cake you build up would consume half the bowl. The minor reason is the glass tubing. I'm a bit careless (read clumsy) at times and that just screams "break me".

As far as advice or opinions on your craftsmanship, there are places where it is obvious you spent the time and care to finely craft parts (duel air holes into the glass for example), but in places it seems you left things undone (the stem on your bird-rabbit). Random or natural can be used, Jackson Pollock comes to mind. But not if the result appears to be unfinished or half-assed. Such as this.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

bscofield wrote:
Vermont Freehand wrote:Oh, and though most tobacco pipes have 3/4"-1" bowl diameters, some don't, like this one here, I almost thought of entering this into the PITH because it's a real nose warmer;

Nice pipe... is it a Johnson?

The shank is a bit thick. The button needs some refining. And the left side of the bowl should hang a bit lower than the right. :shock:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com