Briar Order

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Danskpibemager

Briar Order

Post by Danskpibemager »

Fellow Pipemakers,
It's about that time to order another load of briar and I was wondering if I could get some input on the various sources outside the USA. I've purchased the vast majority of briar from PME as of late but would like to explore different suppliers this time and for future purchases as I think a better deal can be had. I am leaning toward either Jaume Hom or Yazid but have never delt directly with them so any comments would be appreciated. Also, do I need to provide the required import paperwork with either of these suppliers or do they take care of it for you. Thanks in advance for the help!

Regards,
Kevin
Leus

Re: Briar Order

Post by Leus »

I've bought from the now defunct briargrains.com site (is that Yazid?) and after that experience (+2 months waiting) I went with Jean Pierre Soler. He is a world-class gentleman and businessman.

His contact info (I don't think he has a website anymore) and many others can be find in the following page:

http://www.pfeifenfreun.de/bastel/adressen_e.html
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I think yazid is improving his operation in terms of efficiency since he began selling directly to makers. My last order from him took a while to come, but I think that's because I paid him in advance. In talking with some other makers, it sounds like it is best to have him send briar with payment upon receipt, as then you are not worried about lost $ and he is more motivated to ship quickly.

I really like his briar, fwiw.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My personal opinion is that Yazid's briar is of excellent quality. I have never had a bad experience with his service or products. I use his stuff almost exclusively, though I have been known to order small trial batches from other places to see what their wood looks like. There are several very good cutters and suppliers out there, and generally speaking it's difficult to go wrong when ordering direct from the cutter or pipe factory.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Yazid's briar is very good. You will deal with inconsistent quality from him though. He's one of the only cutters I've worked with who provides briar marked by visible flaws on the blocks. It's pretty good stuff to blast, makes for fine smooths, and is well cured. Mimmo, is of course, another source for you at romeobriar.com . There are several others, but this really depends on what you are looking for, the quantity you wish to order, and your budget for the purchase. Check out the various lists that have been posted here to the forums by searching, or you may view the list compiled by our friend Scott Thile at www.pipedia.org

best,

Jeff
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

Thanks guys for all your input. I have heard that Yazid has ramped up the service as well as the briar by offering only Tassili grade on his website in box sets. I don't know if I'm ready for Mimmo quality briar because I keep thinking about the statement that Todd J. once made that he wouldn't waste a midgrade pipe on Mimmo briar. That leaves my question still open as to whether briar from Jaume Hom is of good quality and the service is reasonable. If anyone has any info on this particular supplier I would really appreciate it whether you post it here or PM me. I'm looking for about 50 small blocks so it's not a huge investment but as we all know a pipemaker has to spend his bucks wisely.
Thanks again and regards!
Kevin
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

When Wolf Blazejewski was carving I know he used a lot of Jaume's briar. I have a pipe made from that stuff and it is just fine. However, I know Wolf had to make 2 pipes because the first one was spongey as hell in one part. When I look at Jaume's prices though, I can't help but think that I can get similar quality out of PME for about the same price, so I don't see a lot of savings there. Maybe a couple bucks a block. Perhaps it's better prices for 50 blocks.

From what I can tell, Mimmo's prices are competitive given his reputation. I haven't used his stuff yet.

I like Yazid's briar - (I assume that's what PME is selling) it works well, finishes easily, and smokes good. The Italian stuff I had earlier in the year smoked great but it had a lot more color variation throughout the blocks. I assume this is a boiling issue, but I don't know.

To me, it's a gamble to buy 50 blocks from someone if you don't know the product personally.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Charl

Post by Charl »

I have used Jaume once, and was really satisfied with his service. The blocks, on the other hand, I was not too happy about. But saying that, I suppose I got what I payed for. I couldn't afford the really good stuff. :(