Sometimes we just get lucky

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jeff

Sometimes we just get lucky

Post by jeff »

Anyone who has worked with briar for more than, say, 15 minutes knows that it can be a frustrating and unpredictable material. We lay out a shape in a block and find out when we get inside that the grain takes an unforeseen turn and adjustments in the shape must be made, if possible, to account for it and still preserve the beauty of the grain.

Other times it couldn't be more perfect. Yesterday I grabbed a block of briar (Cirta grade from Pipemakers' Emporium, believe it or not) to make a little bamboo nosewarmer. The grain was not laid out to give me a full length straight grain billiard, but it was structured so that I could get two bamboo pipes out of it, Sixten style. Below you will see the two roughed pipes resulting from this effort. I couldn't be happier with the grain. I could have flipped the pipes over in the photo and you would see the same structure. It is as perfect as it can be.

Here you go:

I know that some folks have doubted the quality of the wood from Pipemakers' Emporium having bought a handful of wood and had mixed results. Here, though, are two examples of what is possible with their wood. It is indeed of the highest quality even though like all briar it can have some devastating flaws on occasion.
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

Jeff yes you got two nice ones. Bet you don't hear that from other guys. :shock: About the wood from pipe makers, its just like anywhere else. Sometime its good sometimes not. I was helping Alex Florov get 14 bamboo kits put together for the pipe makering siminar. Out of 14 blocks donated by pipemakers emporium we only had 2 with serious enough flaws that we had to scrap them. Not a bad average. If you need smaller quantities than is required to order from mimo they are a great option.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Stunning pipes Jeff, I love PME's wood even their Eb blocks are good.

Ryan
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nice, Jeff!

The Algerian briar from PME is supplied by a fellow named Yazid. I've been using his stuff for years now, and I really have been very pleased by the quality of the wood. Like wood from anywhere, it can have major flaws in it, but with the Algerian wood, those flaws really are few and far between. I was actually at a point about ayear ago where every block I grabbed turned into a smooth pipe - I was actually *hoping* for a sandblastable stummel.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

This is wood from PME:

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:This is wood from PME:

Rad
Rad,

That's a really great shape. Jeff, the grain is nice but that big black ring at the end of the bamboo looks stupid. You should remove that.

Todd
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

ToddJohnson wrote:Jeff, the grain is nice but that big black ring at the end of the bamboo looks stupid. You should remove that.

Todd
:lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

ToddJohnson wrote:Jeff, the grain is nice but that big black ring at the end of the bamboo looks stupid. You should remove that.
Todd
Dude, don't make fun of the button on my new bamboo stems. It's experimental, and it feels remarkably good between the teeth. Of course, jaw cramps and drool are a problem, but they can be overcome with some muscle relaxant and paper towels.

Regarding their wood, I've used it for years. In fact, the first batch of wood I ever bought from a mill came from Yazid before he was selling through PME. There are some big flaws sometimes, but most wood has that on occasion. Also, the shapes of their blocks have improved significantly from when they first started retailing their wood.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Mimmo for life! Yazid delenda est.

Todd
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yeah (vobis?)! Ceterum autem censeo, Yazid esse delendam. :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Frank wrote:Yeah (vobis?)! Ceterum autem censeo, Yazid esse delendam. :twisted:
Good.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:Mimmo for life! Yazid delenda est.

Todd
This is Mimmo wood:

It's only good for blasting. :P

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

RadDavis wrote:

Todd
This is Mimmo wood:

Rad
...and a damn good blast it is! Image
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Naah, it's only good for smooths.

TJ

Frank

Post by Frank »

Yowzer :drool: Now that's a beautiful pair - and I rarely say that about non-anatomical parts.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:

Todd
This is Mimmo wood:

Rad
Holy Snizzles, Rad!
What a blast! If you've got more wood like that, send it my way. I'll even tell people you're a nice guy :D
jeff

Post by jeff »

It's a crying shame that the Algerian wood is no good for smooths. All I've been able to get are pieces like this:

Frank

Post by Frank »

Beautiful work, Jeff.

I guess the irony is that a few decades ago Algerian briar was considered inferior to European Mediterranean briar. Probably stemmed from uninformed opinion, rather than knowledge and fact.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Great, Jeff. Keep posting those photos, and before you know it, Yazid will double the price again, and the supply will dry up - again. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Heh. Not when I tell you how many thousands of blocks I looked at to find those ones. :) He's priced just right. His wood is not up there with Mimmo's out of the bag. Mimmo is better at sorting out potentially difficult wood. But, for the price or especially if you can hand pick it at a show, the wood is definitely worth it.

Jeff