Mcmaster-Carr

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Mcmaster-Carr

Post by bscofield »

I love Mcmaster-Carr but I always seemed to have trouble finding what I need on it :?

Does anyone have the product # handy for SS Tubing with ID of 5/32 and OD 3/16" ? Unless I'm using their website wrong, it says that don't have any... but I could have sworn I saw them on there before...
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Alloy 304 is McMaster # 8987K543

Alloy 316 is McMaster # 89935K252

Alloy 316 is more corrosion resistant due to a higher molybdenum content, but 304 is a good general purpose stainless - it should work fine in pipes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:Alloy 304 is McMaster # 8987K543

Alloy 316 is McMaster # 89935K252

Alloy 316 is more corrosion resistant due to a higher molybdenum content, but 304 is a good general purpose stainless - it should work fine in pipes.
How'd you do that!?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a running order for both. :D

The key word is "hypodermic". The "stainless tube" they have in the raw materials section is welded and drawn - but it comes annealed, with a "mill" finish, and with walls too thick to be useful. The hypodermic tubing is welded and drawn, but then hardened, and has a .01" wall. It's designed so that any given size will slide right inside the next size up.

I have no idea why it's called hypodermic though - if someone came at me with a needle .18" in diameter, I think I would spontaneously cure myself of whatever ailment I might have had.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:I have a running order for both. :D

The key word is "hypodermic". The "stainless tube" they have in the raw materials section is welded and drawn - but it comes annealed, with a "mill" finish, and with walls too thick to be useful. The hypodermic tubing is welded and drawn, but then hardened, and has a .01" wall. It's designed so that any given size will slide right inside the next size up.

I have no idea why it's called hypodermic though - if someone came at me with a needle .18" in diameter, I think I would spontaneously cure myself of whatever ailment I might have had.
Giants have to be treated somehow... don't discriminate, Kurt... :roll: