Does government ever do anything right?!?!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Does government ever do anything right?!?!

Post by bscofield »

alan

Post by alan »

My wife is freaking out about this law. She's a crafter who, along with many, many other crafters, will be put out of business by the CPSIA. Since every component in a batch of products needs to be tested for lead, every crafter who makes a one-of-a-kind item that could possibly come into contact with a child 12 or under will have to shut down.

I've seen folks pricing items with before the law cost and then showing the cost of the item after adjusting for how much testing each component will be. Here's one example of a $6 item being adjusted to $1686 to cover testing costs (forgive the pretty bows; it was the first item I found): http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?re ... d=20324044

I understand being afraid after all the lead scares last year, but this law is too broad. Hell, if one of you guys felt like selling a turned wood teething ring for a baby you have to test not only for lead, but as the law is written, phthalates- a type of bad plastic.
Frank

Post by Frank »

All I can do at this time is shake my head in amazement and say, "Holy shit - what a cluster@*#* this is going to be!".
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is all over the pen making forums as well. A lot of people are scared $#!tless that a primary source of their income is going to go away.

Fortunately, some politicians recognize that the law is far too broad as written (miracle of miracles!), and will have far reaching and onerous impacts to a LOT of cottage-based business, as well as folks making hand-crafted items either directly for children, or that children may come in contact with. There's a ton more info at various websites, like the Handmade Toy Alliance, and reformcpsia.org.

And no, our government rarely can do anything right. In this case, they've overreacted to the point of absurdity. Just goes to show you how out of touch politicians are with the actual state of affairs in our country. They wrote the law under the assumption that the only place toys come from is mega-corporations with factories in China.

Idiots, all of them.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Why the hell don't the just monitor what comes out of friggin China!?! They are the problem!! :x :evil:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Is it true the law only addresses items intended for the use of children under 12 years of age?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

As far as I can tell - and as far as everything I've read. However, all you need is some noisy soccer-mom to go after you with a sleazy lawyer, and you're done for.

That's the problem with a lot of things. Like pens. Folks are actually having signs made for their tables that say things like "Not intended for children 12 and under" - for pens and pencils. But this doesn't help folks that make classic wooden toys like yo-yos, blocks, puzzles, "Lincoln" logs, pull-toys, cars/tractors, etc. These guys are seriously screwed.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Update on this: the CSPC has granted a one year stay of execution....
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09115.html

This time period is meant to help further refine the law to be less onerous - but will likely be spent on partisan posturing instead.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com