Howdy Folks. New Member. New pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Christopher Brunton

Howdy Folks. New Member. New pipes

Post by Christopher Brunton »

Hi. I think I know a few of you from around the net, other forums and such, where I go by loosewatches. I didn't know whether to make an introduction in the general forum or not, so I figured I'd just show you folks what I've been up to. I think Rad may already have seen most of these....sorry Rad.

About me:
Well, I'm a California boy living in Austria. I work as a machinist and I can smoke at work. Yeehaw! (At least for the time being). I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing with my pipes, style wise, and trying to build up my shop here in Europe. There seems to be an endless amount of stuff to learn.
This is a great resource and I'd just like to say thanks for all the info I've sucked out of this site, before becoming a member. (Not an easy task, but that's another story.)

Here are some photos of a few of my pipes...

The pipe on the Romeo pipes cloth is the last pipe I have finished and the picture with a group of four shots in it was my first. I made it about two years ago, if memories serve-
The last pipe is unfinished, the bit is still a bit thick, but it's full open draw. An experiment gone wrong, you might say.

Thanks for looking. Any critique is welcome.

-chris

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The second pipe is very nice.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Christopher,

I've already seen all of these pipes! Why are you showing them to me again!??!! :P

Welcome to the forum! :D

Rad
Charl

Post by Charl »

The second pipe is very nice.
Ditto!
Källman

Post by Källman »

For some reason, i really dig the last pipe. The shape is just completley different from what iv seen so far. Do you have more pictures of it?
Christopher Brunton

Well, thanks. The second pipe pictured is the only pipe I've sold to someone that I don't actually already know, that is, an actual customer. So I'm glad you guys like it.

I do have one other picture of the last pipe, and here it is. Like I said the stem was experimental. There is a little groove, or divot on the bottom side, just behind the button (or is that in front of the button?) The idea being that the weight of the pipe rest on the bottom teeth so there'd be less need to clench. It might have been useful on a pipe with some weight. This one had none. Don't know if I'll try it again, but it did kinda work ok, sorta. It would have been nice to finish this pipe, it did smoke well.

In case anyone is interested, the machine I do my drilling on looks something like this: (course, mine is pretty since I just painted it, but we aren't allowed to take pictures inside the company. Top secret work going on....) Is it overkill drilling pipes on a four foot table? I think so, but it does work well, provided I don't make too many mistakes.

I just got back from Italy with some wood and a head full of pipemaking ideas and information, so I should have a couple of new pipes to post in the next couple of days.

-chris
Källman

Post by Källman »

Cheers for posting the pictures Christopher. Im getting a little obsessed by it. Looking forward to those new pipes!

What were you doing in Italy? Visiting pipemakers?
JBW

Post by JBW »

Welcome and nice boring mill, we could use one like it at work. :lol: Good looking pipes too. :wink:
So, from one machinist to another, how does one land in Austria? :?
Joel
Christopher Brunton

I was buying wood and learning a few things from Mimmo in Italy. Quite a funny fellow, that Mimmo. Had a great time. He has some really nice stuff on the bench. Check out Al Pascia, the link is at the bottom, though I don't think they have much from him at the moment.

What am I doing in Austria, you ask? Well, my wife is an Austrian. (And, I guess, so are my kids, by default). But we're planning on moving back to CA next summer.

Funny thing, though....I took German in high school. It didn't help a bit when I got here 6 years ago. They (we) speak a dialect here that most Germans don't understand but, having a 'foreign ear' I'm lucky in that I can understand just about everyone. Only thing that gives me away as an American is the occasional R. When people here someone pronounce an R here, they know right away if you speak English.

Anyway, there's not much going on in our part of Austria as far as pipes go (except for Mathold in Graz), so I'm looking forward to getting back to the USA. Although I did find a can of Rattray's Marlin Flake at my local tabak traffik today. Unusual surprises in the middle of August!

-chris

p.s. Yeah, that is a pretty good machine, but mine needs a new gib on the x ways, so it runs .3mm out in x+. Keeps me on my toes.

http://www.alpascia.com/sitealpascia/front.asp
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

The last one is my fav. I really like how it is sort of reminiscent of vertebrae or one of those radio antennas that collapses into itself. I'd even like to see one of these with 4 sections and a little more exaggerated.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com