Pipe making class wanted

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Re: Pipe making class wanted

Post by kbadkar »

cla6665 wrote: I am trying to learn myself but it's hard to see where you make mistakes.

Claudio
If you are eager and logistics make a "class" hard to coordinate, I would suggest that you order more pipe kits or cheap ebauchons (like Michael Parks') and some pre-molded stems, and then feel free to make mistakes. Then when you have a feel for the other processes, try hand cutting your stems. Don't let mistakes stop you from trying and you will learn. After you make some mistakes and you are not sure how to avoid them in the future, ask this forum. Then if you do manage to find a willing mentor, you will have educated questions and basic rudimentary pipemaking skills, so you won't annoy a professional with entry level knowledge. I believe Tim West in Ohio has pipemaking classes and the big Chicago pipeshow as well, but I think you need some pipe making experience before Chicage to fully take advantage of the opportunity.
Frank

Post by Frank »

My suggestion to newcomers to this sight is patience. Take your time and read as many of the old posts as possible. I spent literally weeks reading almost all of the old posts. There is honestly a wealth of information to be gleaned here.

There is also much to be learned from http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Making . Many of the articles are by experienced pipemakers from this forum.

I don't consider this pipe in any way ideal, but the knowledge to make this first pipe was all learned here:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The only "class" i am aware of is taught here in Phoenix when there are enough students to do it.