my first

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bear

my first

Post by Bear »

this is my first, i know it's not a masterpiece but i'm pretty proud of it anyways. i really enjoyed doing this and am already at work on my second. hopefully i learn as i do more, the finishing process was a little difficult for me. all imput is welcome. dont worry about being harsh i need as much info as possible.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Welcome to the Pipemaking World!
More photos would help to get a better idea.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice first attempt. I like the shape of the stummel. Only a few things I see that need work. The stem/stummel connection needs to be smoothed out so that they are the same diameter. It looks like the stem just needs a bit more elbow grease with the sandpaper. Work on getting the bit a bit thinner. Premolded stems usually still need some shaping work. And lastly, the finish needs a bit of work to get a more polished look and maybe bring out more of the grain. Altogether a very nice job.
Bear

Post by Bear »

the stem was a definate hiccup. and staining and polishing was an interesting time. i've never done either before so i wasn't so sure about the techniques. still not so sure. i should have joined this forum before i tried my first pipe. the amount of information on this site would have been very useful.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yip, the information on this site is endless and limitless! :D Definitely the right place to learn about pipemaking! :notworthy:
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I agree with the comments about the shank to stem transition being uneven. Was this a handcut stem? The button and finsih could use a little refinement. I think it looks like an excellent first.