A real Quirky pipe this time

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
donbernard

Post by donbernard »

Well, you see, it started life out with the intention of becoming a "squashed tomatoe" type thing, but the appearance of two huge "PITS" changed the direction and outcome of this one. So, instead of just abandoning the block, I just carved and carved and let it go it's own way really,( got a bit carried away with the stem, but it's good practice) and here is the result.
All comments are welcome! :oops:

You can see more pic's Here.
http://donbernardpipes.com/newpipe.htm
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

You know, a lot of people like quirky pipes, including myself. This one is a welcome reminder that not all pipes have to look like something the late great Bing Crosby might have smoked.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Quirky and fun-ky. That stem sure screams "look at me". I do like it, but if there wasn't that "gap" between the stem and shank, I think you'd have a more interesting echo of the bowl shape.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nifty!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think that's a very cool pipe in an angular, geometric sort of way.

Flaws can sometimes make you come up with some fun stuff. It's best when they are so big you don't care what happens, so you freely grind away just to see where it goes, and then suddenly, you've got something!

Good work!

Rad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Hmmmm. I like it!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Pretty interesting and ... cool! So different, but it is fun to look at.

I would love to have your turning skilz! That is some serious stem work! Well done!!
Dave-
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You know, when I first saw this, my thought was "Wow, that is different, but also very cool!". Now that I've looked at a few times, it's even more impressive. I don't know why, but the pipe has really grown on me. It's really well executed.

Nice job!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
donbernard

Post by donbernard »

Thank you all for the encouraging and positive comments on this pipe.
I really thought that I would get myself "kicked out" of the forum with this one.

Note to Hollywood: Those turning skilz, all hand-work. I don't own a lathe at this time, one day I will.
hollywood

Re: A real Quirky pipe this time

Post by hollywood »

donbernard wrote:Thank you all for the encouraging and positive comments on this pipe.
I really thought that I would get myself "kicked out" of the forum with this one.

Note to Hollywood: Those turning skilz, all hand-work. I don't own a lathe at this time, one day I will.
Wow. Now that's impressive! How are you getting such precision inserts and turns by hand?
Dave-
donbernard

Post by donbernard »

hollywood wrote:
donbernard wrote:Thank you all for the encouraging and positive comments on this pipe.

Wow. Now that's impressive! How are you getting such precision inserts and turns by hand?
Very, very, carefully. :wink:
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

donbernard wrote:
hollywood wrote:

Very, very, carefully. :wink:
:fencing: Touche'!:notworthy:

rofl!! :lol:
Dave-