New (to me) Unimat DB200

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
kkendall

New (to me) Unimat DB200

Post by kkendall »

Just got a Unimat DB200 lathe. Very excited about the possibilities of this little jewel!

Does anybody have any 'lessons learned' (the hard way) that you can share that can help me avoid stepping in the same piles?

-Kim
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Well, one thing I have concluded... The lathe is designed and built in metric, and is designed for a 6mm tool when using the stock tool holder.

By using a 1/4" tool, the top of the 1/4" tool is .014" higher than a 6mm tool, so the top of a 1/4" tool needs to be ground down a little more to hit the lathe centerline.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Kim,

I don't know if you can get a QC tool post for that lathe, but the tool holders on them are easily adjustable up & down, and you can use any size tool you want that will fit in the holder.

Rad
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I'm looking at 2 tool holders right now. One is a turret tool holder that was designed for this lathe using a 1/4" tool and the other a single tool, adjustable tool post. A quick change would be cool, too, if I can find one!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I googled this guy up to see what it was. Looks like it's a small(mini?) type of lathe? Or do the pictures online not do it justice?
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

It's small. About the same as a Taig. Good for stems/extensions but not for stummels (I use a Delta Midi for that anyway)
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

kkendall wrote:It's small. About the same as a Taig. Good for stems/extensions but not for stummels (I use a Delta Midi for that anyway)
That's what I was thinking when I saw it. How's it working for you so far? Does the headstock have any throughput? I couldn't really tell from the pictures. That's my biggest bitch about my Taig.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I looked it up and saw some pictures with the milling attachment. Does your Unimat have the milling attachment? How much did your set-up set you back?
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Mine only has the lathe and some lathe accessories (chuck, faceplate, lathe dog, tailstock chuck, center, etc.) - just lathe stuff...$150

Ordered a quick change tool post - the turret post bidding gou out of hand!