What do I look out for when I'm buying an older lathe!?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hollywood

What do I look out for when I'm buying an older lathe!?

Post by hollywood »

I've searched and searched and have come to the conclusion to save my pennies and get a metal lathe as my first; instead of buying cheap and upgrading later. So much lathe information to go through.

The one thing I haven't found is; what to look for on older lathes to make sure I'm not wasting my money. Are there signs of over use or potential money pit problems to look at specifically?

Here is one I've found locally that I hope to be able to pick up for less than $350. I'll also show the tooling that comes with it. Please take a look and let me know what you all think about the brand and tooling; and what might be any issues to inspect for. Thanks much in advance!!

Craftsman AA M#109-20630 - 1/4 hp motor:
Dave-
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Get ready for a lesson :)
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

hazmat wrote:Get ready for a lesson :)
:shock:

Uh Oh!?! Is that good or bad!?!
Dave-
Frank

Post by Frank »

hollywood wrote:
Currently Jack (jhowell) is our resident expert on old lathes. I'm sure he'll be able to assess the lathe and give you detailed advice. Not to worry, it's a good thing.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I looked at buying a 109 lathe, myself, so I know a little bit about them.

I guess the biggest complaint that I have heard concerns the small 1/2" spindle diameter, the small #1 Morse taper in it, and the fact that the bearings are bronze, rather than rolling-type bearings.

Basically, this lathe would be fine for turning tenons, but you probably wouldn't want to turn a lot of stummels with it.

On the upside, though, they're a good solid investment. There's a lot of guys just eating these 109s up on Ebay.

And there were, if I remember correctly, more than a million 109s made, so there are plenty of cheap parts for them on Ebay, as well.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

If all I can really use it for is tenons; then it may not worth it!? I wanted something to do stems first, and then drilling and turning bowls for bulldogs. I can't afford to buy something that I will replace in a few months anyway.

Anybody else using one of these??
Dave-
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

hollywood wrote:

Good!!! When Jack has a chance to answer, you'll see what I mean.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Heh. Don't buy it, at least, not for $350. I used a Craftsman 6" for a long time and they're not bad, though they are strictly a hobby machine made to a very low price point. I don't have the picture in front of me, but I think that one had all the handles, which is rare. They're incredibly cheap pot metal and usually break off. The gears are also pot metal, but you wouldn't be using the leadscrew very much. Which is good, as the half nuts are made of cheese. I've seen pristine examples of those lathes go for up to $500, because there are collectors. But for $300 a few months ago I bought a South Bend 9" Model C which is three times the lathe. The little Craftsman would be all right for stems. Not great, but better than nothing. But it won't have enough capacity or power for stummel work, most of them have oddball spindle threads so it's hard to get new chucks to fit. It's really no better than a Taig as the hole through the headstock is less than half an inch.

As a cool little lathe to screw around with, it would be ok at $200. The seller might get more on ebay, but the buyer would be sorry. As a pipemaking tool, you'll want to set your sights on a South Bend 9" -- Model As can go for a grand or more, but Model Cs can be had, as I noted, fairly cheaply. Logan 9s, 10s, and 11s make good pipemaking lathes, maybe better than SBs as they'll turn faster and are generally cheaper. Every once in awhile I'll post an ebay listing for a lathe that I think may make a good buy. Not the prettiest machines -- it's easy to get a great lathe if you have $3000 in your pocket -- but machines that I think will go for $500 or less and ought to do the job. A lathe with a crashed leadscrew is a prime target. You don't need to turn threads to make pipes. Anyway, if you'll look at the "for sale" section you'll see some past posts of candidates. I'll be happy to answer questions.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I saw that 109 on ebay -- was up to $262 already. Got to say, I'm surprised. Well, I'm sticking to my guns. It may be a good investment, but it won't do anything a Taig or Sherline won't do better, and if the goal is to make pipes for real, you want something that either will pass rod stock into the spindle or swings a big enough (deep enough) chuck that it doesn't matter.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I have a 109 and its a good little thing for stems. I like my wood lathe better for stummels though. But perhaps i just didn't play with an etch-a-sketch enough as a kid.

At the moment, its busted. The 109 I have - 109.0703 I think - has a set of backgears. The backgears are held in place - non active - by a little screw. Well damn if that screw didn't bust off inside. And I have no clue how to get the thing open. I'm tempted just to beg Jack to fix it up, but I know he's busy enough as it is. ;)
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Nick, just take it apart. If it's not working, what do you have to lose? I didn't look to see where you live, but if you're close enough to Pittsburgh to throw it in your trunk we could have a look at it together. My 6" Atlas needed new bearings in the worst way, but I never had the courage to take it apart and fix it because I was afraid I'd never get it back together and then I wouldn't have a lathe. But, after taking a couple of bigger lathes apart I now know that machines in this class are very simple, and when I took the Atlas apart last summer to ship it to a friend I saw how unnecessary it had been to be afraid.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Well, I didn't get it. Went for almost $300. Now I am back to the big question: "wood lathe or metal lathe?"

Found a South Bend, but I haven't heard back from the guy so it's probably gone already. Also found a Jet 1236 wood lathe and duplicator for under $400. I just don't know where to go from here. I am kind of stick on making pipes until I can get something to either drill for delrin or cut tenons. My pre-drilled kits on order have been delayed and I'm chomping at the bit to get a few things working. :roll:
Dave-
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If want to get going quickly, get a drill press and a pen maker's vise.

I made pipes for almost a year with nothing but a drill press and a belt grinder. A good drill press isn't all that expensive, and is useful for other jobs as well. Using a pen maker's vise will let you securely hold the rod stock or stem blank so that it can be faced and drilled for delrin - and is a little easier to deal with than a non-centering drill press vise.

There's a myth that you need a whole bunch of tools to make a pipe. It just isn't true.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com