wood lathes for pipe making

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
woodhead

wood lathes for pipe making

Post by woodhead »

Good day, I have just started to purchase tools to try my hand at pipe making and I'm looking for opinions on wood lathes.

I was considering the Delta Midi-lathe that I could puchase on line for $175, but stumbled on a Cental Machinery 12" X 33-3/8" With a reversible head for $280 at Harbour Frieght.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34706

Would it behoove me to spend the extra 100 bucks or does anyone have other lathe suggestions?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Of those two, the Delta. I was in Harbor Freight the other day picking up a pair of cheap pliers, and saw a lathe similar to that one (if not that actual model). It didn't instill me with any confidence at all. The stand was flimsy, and the headstock (which rotates by design) was sloppy and wouldn't index properly. Also, the the tailstock did not center properly with the headstock. I didn't try and figure out if it was headstock slop, tailstock slop, or a combination of the two.

The Delta is going to be a step up in quality. You can also spend a few more $$ and get a Jet JML 1014I, which seems (based on what I've read) a step up from the Delta - even though they're based on the same castings from the same factory in China.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I would suggest not purchasing a wood lathe unless you know you'll use it for other things should pipe making not be your cup of tea. Buying the lathe isn't going to hurt your wallet too terrible much, but rigging it out properly for pipe making will cost you a good bit of cash. You can get away with a dremel(or similar) tool, hand files and sand paper to start with and move on from there should it become something you want to continue with. Just my $.02.
woodhead

Post by woodhead »

Thanks for the imput!!!!