New Pipe -- Black Matrix Bamboo!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

New Pipe -- Black Matrix Bamboo!

Post by bscofield »

**EDIT** I think I decided on a name. Thanks to some help from online friends: Black Matrix Bamboo...

I have never seen this done that I recall. I wonder if anyone else has. Anyway, this is a new pipe of mine and I've done something different with it. I've rusticated the bamboo. I decided early on to keep this one so please dis-regard the sloppy stem and bowl/shank junction.

But other than that, what do you guys think??

Last edited by bscofield on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Looks like it just came off the the coals of a BBQ! Quite a different look.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

No offense, Ben, but that is a terrible looking pipe.

Rad
flix

Post by flix »

In a word: Scary!

That's one tough looking pipe, dude. I wouldn't want to be walking around my neighborhood in the dark around someone smoking that! ;)
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Well... maybe it's only meant to be made 'round halloween...
sethile

Post by sethile »

I've seen several Tolkien series pipes. Most appear to be something Gandolf or a Hobbit might smoke. Perhaps this design could capitalize on that too in that it looks a lot like something an Orc or Goblin might smoke. Gosh, I wonder what they might be smoking in it though? :shock:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: New Pipe -- Black Matrix Bamboo!

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote: But other than that, what do you guys think??
Just a few points for consideration:
- The epoxy that I've seen on Todd's and Jody's pipes has been standing very proud of the nodules. It must be quick-cure epoxy, because it looks like little balls on the end of the nodes. Having the epoxy sit flush doesn't give the same effect - makes it look unfinished.

- The shank should, ideally, be significantly shorter. You want to make the distance from the bowl wall to the first knuckle the same distance as is between the knuckles.

- Based on observations over the last few years, I've decided I like saddle bits a lot better on bamboo than tapered stems. Makes for a much cleaner line. I didn't always do it that way, but in the last year or so, I decided I like it much better.

- The rustication on the bowl looks cool, almost like velvet, but I do not like the rusticated bamboo - especially with the epoxy. Almost makes it looks like poorly applied lacquer or something.

How's it smoke?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:The rustication on the bowl looks cool, almost like velvet, but I do not like the rusticated bamboo - especially with the epoxy. Almost makes it looks like poorly applied lacquer or something.
Kurt's observations are all valid, but the shiny epoxy on the matt, rusticated finish looks very bad. Other than the points Kurt made, it could appeal to some collectors.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I've yet to work with bamboo and really don't have much intention to do so, but I'm curious anyhow. What's the point of putting epoxy on the "knuckles"???
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ben --

There are two categories of response to things like this. Someone's personal impression; and a professional-eye, market view sort of one.

I like old English pipes in classic shapes, so UNLESS a pipe fits that category, I tend not to be drawn to it. Big deal. That means nothing (or shouldn't) to someone working up a new concept.

As a market view thing, I'd say you are on to something. Not necessarily that exact combination of stuff---rusticated bamboo is likely splintery, for example---but as a CONCEPT? You bet. One has to be insanely creative to come up with something truly new in pipes, and the market responds every time it is successfully done.

Keep working it. There's a convergence of the organic and the practical somewhere in your idea---the pipe equivalent of how "right" top quality outdoor equipment feels and looks. Take Swarovski binoculars, for example, or the best firearms. Pro climbing gear, or benchmade boots. The perfection in design of those things doesn't try to FOLLOW an aesthetic, it CREATES one. Why it feels so right is because it merges form and function so well. Your "combat pipe" has a future in that direction, I think.

Good job, dude. 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Frank

Post by Frank »

hazmat wrote:I've yet to work with bamboo and really don't have much intention to do so, but I'm curious anyhow. What's the point of putting epoxy on the "knuckles"???
Basically, to "pretty" it up.
Here's an example of one of Jody's bamboo shank pipes: http://jdavispipes.com/CB04-20.htm
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
buster

Post by buster »

I also have to ask whats the deal with putting epoxy on the knuckles is that something everyone does with bamboo.
Frank

Post by Frank »

buster wrote:I also have to ask whats the deal with putting epoxy on the knuckles is that something everyone does with bamboo.
No, most pipemakers don't go to that much trouble.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote: - The epoxy that I've seen on Todd's and Jody's pipes has been standing very proud of the nodules. It must be quick-cure epoxy, because it looks like little balls on the end of the nodes. Having the epoxy sit flush doesn't give the same effect - makes it look unfinished.
No doubt. I used the T-88 stuff as you probably guessed based on my other thread!
KurtHuhn wrote: - The shank should, ideally, be significantly shorter. You want to make the distance from the bowl wall to the first knuckle the same distance as is between the knuckles.
Couldn't agree more... the problem is that I always overestimate the size of my bowls on Bamboo pipes, then when i get the bowl where I want it, the shank is too long. I need to remember to compensate for my consistent miscalculation :lol:
KurtHuhn wrote: - Based on observations over the last few years, I've decided I like saddle bits a lot better on bamboo than tapered stems. Makes for a much cleaner line. I didn't always do it that way, but in the last year or so, I decided I like it much better.
I think I agree with you on this as well... for most cases, anyway.
KurtHuhn wrote: - The rustication on the bowl looks cool, almost like velvet, but I do not like the rusticated bamboo - especially with the epoxy. Almost makes it looks like poorly applied lacquer or something.
I have a few more things that I want to try (one being a better/harder/faster drying epoxy on it, the other being NO epoxy and a few more ideas rolling around my head)... I'll be the first to say that this pipe takes HORRIBLE pictures. It really is VERY different in person. My lack of some of the important aesthetic issues pointed out above doesn't help :x

My seeing it in person, and knowing what it looks like, makes me not want to give up on the idea yet. I'm going to do some polling of customer-driven sites.
KurtHuhn wrote: How's it smoke?
Don't know yet!! I'm having to decide when to break this in and when to break in my new Peter Klein. I also need to get some bowl coating in the bamboo one!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Knarly! Its an ugly basard, but i kinda like it. You know, the rusticated bamboo would look really cool on some sort of Talbert-esque monstrocity.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Looks like chocolate. More edible than smokable. You're a good man Ben.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'd be curious to see if the bamboo might "bleed" when you smoke it. If the bamboo absorbs moisture, as I suspect it does, then you have removed the sealing layer of the bamboo. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if moisture comes to the surface of rusticated bamboo.

Have you smoked it?

Tyler
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I have not smoked it yet. I plan on doing so this week.

I had considered that issue but I have to say that I wondered if the moisture accumulation from the smoke would be sufficient. Reason being is that i had to do something to the bamboo after it was already blackened and as I result I discovered that the black dye, which I applied quite liberally, did not go very deep at all. Because of that I would suspect that it would require a great deal of moisture to come from inside of the cavity in order to come into contact with the dye, and then come out even further to the hand.

I'll report back.
Frank

Post by Frank »

bscofield wrote:..... I would suspect that it would require a great deal of moisture to come from inside of the cavity in order to come into contact with the dye, and then come out even further to the hand.
I clean out quite a bit of moisture every day from the moisture trap in my daily pipe and I'm also using a balsa filter. Only time will tell if it bleeds through enough to begin to wet the outside of your bamboo. I'll wait for your report back after smoking it awhile.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I don't disagree with that... but I also clean out moisture out of my bamboo pipe too. So it's not all getting absorbed.

The proof will be in the pudding when I smoker 'er tho!