Two New Crosbys

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

Two New Crosbys

Post by ArtGuy »

... or should that be Crosbies? Hmmm anyhow,

Here are a couple of recent pipes I made and sold. I thought I would show them to you guys.

Anao (Rusticated)

Height: 1.5"
Length: 4.5"
Weight: 1.1 oz (31 grams)
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Chamber Depth: 1 1/8"
Cumberland Stem

Mármore (Sandblast)

Length: 5 1/4"
Height: 2"
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Weight: 1.3oz
Marble Wood Inlay

smokepiper

very nice!

Post by smokepiper »

I like them both but different. The first is very chubby and seems like a fancy restaurant pipe, but there is no smoking nowadays. The second has the flow of a black swan very natural and gracefull, a pipe at special occations with very special tobacco to fill it up with. Very Nice pipes!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nice pipes, John. I'm not sure if this was intentional, because if I had done it before seeing this it wouldn't have been, but I really like the way your distinct lines on the brindle stem (thanks, David Field :) ) display the striations differently. It's quite attractive. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it before! Very nice, indeed!

The blasts are looking good too! This is quite an impressive pair, for sure!

Best,

Jeff
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Very nice John,
I like them both, but I'm rather fond of the wood trim and "scoop" look of the sandblast.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I am not certain if the separate graining on the cumberland is the result of a "happy accident" (thank you Bob Ross :D *) or just how this particular rod is. I have gotten that effect on a couple of pipes and really like it. This rod is much darker than other rods I have used. However I am liking it. I think it has something to do with keeping the bit flat and wide with crisp edges but I am not certain. I should try turning some of this rod and see what happens.

* I can't believe I just quoted Bob Ross. I am certainly going to art hell for that one :P
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ArtGuy wrote: * I can't believe I just quoted Bob Ross. I am certainly going to art hell for that one :P
Awwww, c'mon! I used to love watching him paint "happy little trees" and even immitated his style once or twice. :angel:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow John, these are beautiful pipes. I love them both, but especially the Mármore. I like the shape, the blast, and the stain. To quote Bob Ross again, Dark Dark Dark.... Loved that guy. Hey, it's your world!

I also love the natural Rustification on Anao, and find it very appealing. How did you do that rustification? Very nice.

As always, I love your work, John. Always look forward to seeing what you're up to.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tano

Post by Tano »

The ArtGuy does it again, both, gracefull and with stylish. Love seeing your work.
When I grow up I want to be like you!!

All the best
Tano
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Hey john

Very nice pipes...loveley softness of the rustication. And a gracefull balst..

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

On Topic: Beautiful, both of them. With the lighter one: The edge/transition between the bowl's side (rough) and the smooth top (pic 4) could be more defined. I tried several rustications on some crappy estate bowls and I know this is almost impossible to to. Some deepenings still run a little too far into the flat area, and you can't egalize them not loosing shape elsewhere…

Off Topic: They show that Bob Ross thing here on german TV on some sideline satellite channel way deep at night, too! Some kind of greetings from a parallel universe or from way back when. I don't know where he lives, but he always reminds me of: "live in northern california once, but leave – before it makes you soft!" It makes perfect sense watching him work out all that kitsch – whispering, mildly smiling – when you suffer from insomnia. It's only minutes, almost seconds and there you are in dreamland. BTW: In which of the 52 states is a hairstyle like his considered offending nowadays?
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
Nick

Post by Nick »

Man, I love the pot shape. And that is one nice pipe. Nice rustication too. I love the chunky feel of the piece. Is that one going on your website for sale? I didn't see it there when I check a moment ago.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Nick, I am afraid that pipe has already sold before it could make it to the site. However, I like that pipe so much I am already working on another :D . Lately many of my pipes have been selling from my email list. If anyone would like to be on that list, feel free to email me ( jcrosby@crosbypipes.com ). Those on that mailing list get a preview of what is going on the site a few hours early.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

John I can not say anything that has not already been said...so I will just say you are the man. I love your pipes...maybe one day my pipes will bring me enough side money to afford one of your pipes.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com