First full bent.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Butch_Y

First full bent.

Post by Butch_Y »

I started a couple but wasnt really happy with the large amount of sand pits and so this weekend I started another. The chamber needs to be polished. I didn't stain it yet. I messed up the airway just a bit. It is just slightly above center from the mortise. Otherwise, I'll let you critique it. I put alot of hours on the shape but after looking at it for so long it becomes fiddicult to see tings rite. :lol: My wife has a good eye and helps out.

If you go to my gallery, there are more shots there.
http://fantasticsales.com/pipes/FullBentBill-001.
I just didnt want to take up the whole page here with pics.

Thanks for your comments.

edit: I put the pic of the pipe I used as a model for this one in the gallery with my pipe pics. Mines a bit more squat and thicker walls. http://fantasticsales.com/pipes/FullBen ... /model.jpg. [/url]
Last edited by Butch_Y on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ah!

Overall much better. There is a great amount of balance in this pipe. It flows very well. I would almost bend that stem a little more, but it's not completely necessary. I would buy it.

One thing that I would do to make it better: thicker stem with slightly less bend. HOWEVER, that is purely subjective. and based on my perception of bowl to shank ratio.

I like the transition from bowl to shank. It's organic and doesn't make you stumble along the transition. It could be more defined, but not by much. Great job.

The curve from the bottom of the bowl to the bottom of the shank is SEAMLESS. I love it.

The stem/shank transition is better. I do discern a slight rounding of both stem and shank edge. At this stage, however, it would be easy to fix with some 400grit paper. That's the major stumbling point.

The bit could be thinner. I tend to shoot for less than .15 inches thick at the button. This can be difficult to perfect. But don't be afraid to ruin a stem or two figuring out how to do it.

Very nice pipe. Like I said - I would buy it. It's right up my alley.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Butch,

I like it! It's probably the best executed piece you've done so far. Like Kurt says, I'd buy it!

Maybe it's subjective, or the angle is off, but, the shank seems a little bit pudgy btwn the bowl and the stem. Is it me, or does it look like it bulges out on the sides a little teensy, tiny bit? Maybe I'm just tired and should go to bed!

Nice work!

--Michael
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

flix wrote:Maybe it's subjective, or the angle is off, but, the shank seems a little bit pudgy btwn the bowl and the stem. Is it me, or does it look like it bulges out on the sides a little teensy, tiny bit? Maybe I'm just tired and should go to bed!

--Michael
I agree with Kurt and Michael. The overall balance and flow of this pipe is by far the best you've done so far!

I too, notice what seems to be a slight bulge in the shank between the bowl and stem. But it could be the reflection too.

David
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I would almost bend that stem a little more, but it's not completely necessary.

One thing that I would do to make it better: thicker stem with slightly less bend.
I am cornfused. :P

Rad
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Thanks Rad....I thought is was just me!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
marks

Post by marks »

Personally, I think this is your finest shaping yet. Regarding the stem, my personal preference is to bend the stem so that the last inch or so behind the button is parallel (or nearly so) to the same plane as the rim of the pipe.
ckr

Post by ckr »

In the last pic it gives the appearance that the shank is not centered, it gives the appearance that the lower side of the bowl is larger. Is it?

As far as drilling a full bent, both my GBD and Savinelli full bents come in just about the same as yours did.

Was thinking 'Wow, nice pipe' before I even read the reviews, congrat's.
Last edited by ckr on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:
I would almost bend that stem a little more, but it's not completely necessary.

One thing that I would do to make it better: thicker stem with slightly less bend.
I am cornfused. :P

Rad
Sorry. That was me, enjoying a strong scotch ale, and madly typing. :)

What I mean is: as it stand now, with the shank at that angle, I would bend the stem more. However, if I had my druthers, I'd reduce the angle of the shank, thicken the shank/stem, and put less bend in the stem. In essence, I'd make it a 3/8 bent or so instead of a 1/2 bent.

Clear as mud?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Ah, nes pas mon ami !
Dan
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

Clear as mud?
Clear as mud tossed into a puddle on a rainy day. Maybe I can shed some light.

Here is the model I first wanted to make. http://fantasticsales.com/pipes/FullBen ... /model.jpg

Then, after rough cutting on the bandsaw, (thereby locking in the shape) I came across this guy. http://www.pipesandtobaccos.com/pipesan ... cavlab.htm.

Both pipes are impressive but if I did it again I would lean more toward what Kurt is requesting.

I was real hesitant in bending as these stems seem to be really cheap. I have cracked 4 so far while heating and bending, even tho it seems I have heated it enough, if I go too far it cracks on me. 8O Any suggestions other than turning my own? (Soon as I can get the materials I believe I will be doing just that.) Factory stems blow big doo doo.

BTW, Kurt. Thanks for the high review. I wouldn't sell it yet, though. The chamber is still rough and that airway has me wondering how well it will smoke. Also, this is the uncured block. I think this pipe will sit on my display for a couple years just to see what happens. I fear it may taste like "Grizzly Butt". Hmmm, now where have I heard that before? :lol:

edit: sorry bout the broken link on the model. should be fixed now.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Wonderfull
I especially like the transition from the bowl to shank. Veery nice!
I would make longer the shank if possible, but this is very subjective. I like the bowl shape and the clear lines too.
Congratulations
George
:thumb:
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Wonderfull
I especially like the transition from the bowl to shank. Veery nice!
I would make longer the shank if possible, but this is very subjective. I like the bowl shape and the clear lines too.
Congratulations
George
:thumb:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I was real hesitant in bending as these stems seem to be really cheap. I have cracked 4 so far while heating and bending, even tho it seems I have heated it enough, if I go too far it cracks on me. Any suggestions other than turning my own? (Soon as I can get the materials I believe I will be doing just that.) Factory stems blow big doo doo.
If your stems are cracking as you bend, then you probably aren't getting them hot enough. Is it lucite or vulcanite? Lucite has a much smaller window of opportunity to bend. It tends to go from soft to firm pretty quickly, while vulcanite gives you a lot more time to refine the bend as it firms up.

Overall that pipe is an excellent effort. I agree with one of Kurt's statements that the stem could stand a little more bend, but other than that the shape flows well, looks very symmetrical, and looks a lot like the model that you linked to.

Good job!

Rad
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

I believe the best thing I can say about your comments is that I love clicking your personal site links and seeing everything you have crafted.
Is it lucite or vulcanite?
Not too sure but I'm betting they are mixed. I purchased a package lot from eBay. Some just don't have that soft vulcanite feel to them and those are the ones cracking. They feel much harder between the teeth and also crack far quicker under too much biting pressure. Soon as I can, I will be getting some vulcanite stock.

Congratulations
George
Thanks George. I wanted to comment on your site and pipes. This is what I meant by my opening comment. I have not yet seen your pipes till today. They are beautiful. I anxiously await the english version of your site. :D

Thanks again Everyone. :thumb:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice bud. That's a pipe. Shank/bowl junction is excelent.

The fish tail aspect of the stem seems a bit extreme, but thats just me. The shank seems a little bit odd in the last photo. Like it goes from slimmer at the bowl, to wider and then slimmer where it meets the stem. Is that so? or is it just the picture.

Overall, an excelent effort.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Stay away from the ebay stuff - you never where it's coming from or what it's made out of. When I need factory stems, I call up Tim West and place an order from him:
http://www.jhlowe.com

Hand cut stems are great, and I suggest you try it when you can. But until then, you really can do some good stuff with factory stems if you spend the time on them.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com