3 more to critic. Blast away

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Butch_Y

3 more to critic. Blast away

Post by Butch_Y »

Your comments, no matter how harsh they may seem to you, are all complimentary to me. If it helps improve my crafting then it's all good.

Anyway, there are 3 more pipes that I put on my site for all to shoot to hell. I know they can use more work but I am not one to dwell. I find I gain more experience with every pipe I make and so I tend not to want to go back and rework the older ones. One day perhaps. I also modified my gallery so all the pics don't have to load at one time when you visit my site. The pipes, for the most part, are all in thier perspective folders.

The rhodesian is complete by hand. The only thing I used the lathe for was to cut the chamber. I totally blew the shank junction going to the bowl. I can rework it and give it greater angles but again, a practice pipe that I will start smoking myself soon. I used the bandsaw to rough it, sanding disk to shape and files to finish. Oh and one whole pencil in layout lines. I know the saddle is upside down. That was a personal choice at the time. But, is it that the half saddle always sits upward? I guess you wouldn't saddle a horse upside down and so I am tending to think my choice was wrong. Please keep in mind I made this choice before devoting countless hours to studying shapes. To date, I don't think I have seen a half saddle upside down on a professionally made pipe.

The banana was going to be very much different but the whole while I was shaping it, all I could see was this banana broken off. So there you have it. Hope it doesn't make the smoker hungry while enjoying a puff. :) I think the stem should be bent more to match the radius on the end of the stem. Any thoughts? It would help to give it that flow imho. It's a very large chamber, being able to fit my index finger up to the knuckle. Hope its not too deep. Not sure what the norm would be for a pipe like this. Do you leave material on the bottom, keeping a more shallow bowl or go for the deep? For the most part, I have 1/2" walls all the way around. It thins very slightly on the face toward the lower part of the chamber to 3/8". Surprisingly light feeling for its size and very comfortable for a left handed person to grasp. All in all this is definitely the favorite of my works so far. (I wish the grain patterns wern't broken from side to side...) This being the second (real) pipe I started on and completed, I'm very happy with the results. Don't let that stop you from blasting me tho.

Question on the miltary type stem. Does the airway need to be tapered to the chamber or can I have a flat at the end of the mortise? I can see problems with the flat and air travel and so I am leaning on the taper, but still waiting for the drills to arrive before completing this task. Too, should I chamfer the outside of the tenon? The inside?

The one called simply "briar" I have been working on for over 3 weeks now. It was one of the first shapes I started on and because I love it so much, I have really been taking my time with it doing more staring at it than shaping. I am at the critical stage on the stem now as I begin to work the radius into the stummel. I already blew one corner on the stem design. 8O Got too close to the sanding disk. All in all I like this shape tho. Anyone know what the shape would be called off hand? I'd like to rename it. Shouldn't be too long before it's complete.

I'm sure I could say alot more but I'll leave that up to you. Better for you to find the flaws than have me suggest where to look. I know I need alot more work on my stem/shank junctions. I really believe the metal lathe is the key to that. Even the mandril is not 100%. I have an issue with twisting my stems and finding that 180 degree twist will show that my stem/shank is not perfectly round. Is this common? Besides my idea of a steel bushing to sand up to, is there a better way to accomplish this perfect round? I don't like the idea of someone twisting my stem and feeling that ridge. Just don't seem right.

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to do this. For me, life has taught that time is oh so precious. Your time in helping me to achieve my goal is very much appreciated.

http://www.fantasticsales.com/pipes
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
flix

Post by flix »

Butch,

1. Banana (aka freehand): It seems that there is a lot of goop on surface of the rim. Is it an optical illusion? Anyway, looks like some glue in some of the crevices of the skin there. Picture 6. it looks like there is some allignment issue here, is that another optical illusion? It seems if the bottom of the bowl is out of allignment with the rest of the pipe, esp. the stem, the flow could be a little better. Picture 5. Did you mean to have the bowl canted to the right like that? It seems that it's intended as a right-hander's pipe in that case... Picture 3. Holy cow, what a huge tobacco chamber! It seems out of proportion to the narrow shank/stem. Is that just me?

Good news: the right side grain is superb! I really like the side views of this pipe, reminds me of a sweet Preben Holm handmade. Overall, a very appealing pipe! This is a freehand, IMO, and doesn't remind me of a banana. :)

Briar001: Looking good! I would say this is another freehand. The grain looks pretty good, considering it's not finished. You picked the right way to carve this one, and took advantage well. No big problems I can see

Rhodie: Sorry, the stem bowl junction looks sloppy. Lots of areas look half-finished. I would get a file and finish the top of the junction off a lot better. The sides look a little too sharp again. I think one of your other pipes had similar issues. If you soften that up a little, you'd be better off, IMO.
The crown is rounded, why? I think this causes my eye to see the whole pipe differently with this. I do believe that it is very classy to do that on other shapes, but, on a Rhodie, it's disruptive to the flow. Not to say that it's not well done, OTOH... I really wanted to like this pipe, but I think it needs some TLC.

Good news: I like the stain and the overall design of the pipe (except the rounded crown). It could be a huge winner for you in a contest, if you would execute better! ( yeah, like I could do better! )

I hope this gives you some constructive criticism. You're getting very good!! As a matter of fact, you and Heinz seem to be passing us other noobs behind!!! ;)

--Michael
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

It seems that there is a lot of goop on surface of the rim. Is it an optical illusion?
Are you talking about the top of the chamber? This is a two tone coloring with walnut and a deep red mahagony. I tried to get a good shot but it's kind of blurred. I stained it with the red and then used a toothbrush charged with carnuba wax to polish it. I then took the walnut stain and lightly touched on the upper ouside edge of the chamber to get it to wick to the top and blend in with the red. (you need to hold it upside down to get a good deep wicking action) I like it and the pics sure don't do it justice.
Did you mean to have the bowl canted to the right like that? It seems that it's intended as a right-hander's pipe in that case?
I tried to get the best angles for viewing. If you look at pic 004 you'll see what I mean by left hander. The right side of the stummel sweeps inward first and then scoops back out while the left side does just the opposite. Take your left hand and cup it and notice the shape of your fingers and palm mimic that of the pipe. This was not intentional but seemed to work out well.
Holy cow, what a huge tobacco chamber!
Very huge. Not sure this is ok but I did enlarge the airway to 3/16" to compensate and give a better draw. We'll see what happens.
Rhodie: Sorry, the stem bowl junction looks sloppy. Lots of areas look half-finished.
I wasn't going to post this one as it is very sloppy. My only ambition with this one was to recreate what the lathe could do for me. It's a good round but I really trashed the shank/stummel junction. I was also being a noob on the top as I thought it could be rounded or flat conical. My mistake, my lesson learned. Won't happen again, I promise. :thumb:
I hope this gives you some constructive criticism. You're getting very good!! As a matter of fact, you and Heinz seem to be passing us other noobs behind!!!
Thanks Michael. That's a huge compliment and one not taken lightly. Your comments will only help me to become better.
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach, "Illusions"
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Butch,

You're welcome. You have talent and I surely would never want to discourage anyone that does who's taking up this craft, but rather give feedback on improvements and try to be balanced.

At least I can encourage, even if I do suck at pipemaking (obviously since I've had no comments on my pipes... :cry: ).

--Michael