Rusticated Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

Rusticated Billiard

Post by Heinz_D »

After telling you about my trouble with flaws on my 1st customer pipe in the Repair and Maintenance-thread, now I'll show you the results.

I could sand out the flaw I showed in this thread: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... pic&t=1933

But then another flaw appeared in the bowl/shank junktion on the left side! The only way I could try to save the pipe was to rusticate it. O.K. it's not longer possible to use it for my customer, because he ordered a smooth unstained pipe, so I tried some (for me) new finishes on the bowl.

Very fine rustication with the 1.5 mm Dremel drill bit, staining black, brushing with a steel wire brush to get out the stain for a contrast and staining again with red. The result is a contrast stained, rusticated pipe!

Some pics:

The pipe nearly is a "giant" - look at the dimensions:

Length: 165 mm / 6.5 inch, (Stummel: 80 mm / 3.15 inch, stem: 85 mm / 3.35 inch); hight: 60 mm / 2.36 inch; width: 40 mm / 1.6 inch;
Tobacco chamber: Diameter 24 mm / 0,95 inch, depth: 52 mm / 2.05 inch
Diameter of the shank/stem: 18 mm / 0.71 inch

Some trouble with the symetry of the bowl, because I tried to correct the pits and flaws, but the boarder is symetric...

The stem is acryl and made for 9 mm filter (as the customer ordered - I didn't want to waste the stem, which I'd ready before the desaster began...).

So, what do you think about this one, especially the rustication and the stain?
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
ckr

Post by ckr »

Heinz, first off I have to say that it is my favorite shape for a pipe, I think they can be very elegant in their simplicity, and this is a fine example of just that.

I find that the rustification and the stain to be very appealing (the elegance previously mentioned). It reminds be of a kind of fine pebbled texture from something I can't clearly remember, maybe some textured leather or something.

Your commission has certainly passed on a great pipe.

Were both stains of the same base (alcohol/oil) or is it one over the other?

Does any grass grow in your yard?
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

ckr wrote:Heinz, first off I have to say that it is my favorite shape for a pipe, I think they can be very elegant in their simplicity, and this is a fine example of just that.
I also like the simple shape but I honestly can tell you, that it's not an easy one...
ckr wrote:I find that the rustification and the stain to be very appealing (the elegance previously mentioned). It reminds be of a kind of fine pebbled texture from something I can't clearly remember, maybe some textured leather or something.
Unfortuanatly I had this flaws in the bowl/shank junktion, because it should be a smooth pipe for a customer - but at the end I like the result of the rustication very much! It was thought as an experiment and in the end I'm very satisfied.
ckr wrote:Your commission has certainly passed on a great pipe.
Thank you very much - the only thing I didn't right was the stem junktion in sight of the bowl! If you look from the button to the bowl ther is an issue in symetry which seems to look as if the shank and stem are a little bit too much on the left side...
ckr wrote:Were both stains of the same base (alcohol/oil) or is it one over the other?
Both stains were alcohol based. I made some experiments with alcohol/water based stains. When I used alcohol first for the contrast, evrything was O.K. - but when I set the color with water based stain the color didn't com out very much. The result was an black/bright pink contrast which didn't looked really good... I sand down again and set the color with alcohol based stain! (Tis experiment was done on a not rusticated pipe.)
ckr wrote:Does any grass grow in your yard?
:oops: :dunno: We had a long and hot summer... I think I've to seed some new gras next spring...
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice buddy. I like rustication that still shows off grain.

You're getting quite good.
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Thanks a lot, Nick. :oops:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D