Anyone have an opinion on this fixture?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
JBW

Anyone have an opinion on this fixture?

Post by JBW »

Was cruising Ebay and found this fixture. I have 3 lathes in the shop, all with 3 jaw scroll chucks. I really don't want to buy another chuck right now and don't intend to buy this either. However I can make one like it from materials I already have. Cost will be $0 out of pocket, just a few hours labor. Anyone ever use one or see any reason it wouldn't work?
And yes, I am a cheap SoB! :roll:
Last edited by JBW on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Okay, where's the fixture?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I had a similar set of jaws made up for a OneWay Stronghold chuck. The key is the 2 pins that come in from the side to both mark the joint of airway and chamber (or airway and mortise). They allow you to just rotate the block to do one drilling or the other. The concept is fabulous! Execution is a tremendous help as well.

Here's what I have: http://www.jspipes.com/stuff/chuck.jpg
JBW

Post by JBW »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Okay, where's the fixture?
Click on "this fixture" or below. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Thanks Joel, I had seen your jaws earlier. They are what made me think about making one of these.
Joel
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've always found such fixtures limiting. There are many times (like almost every pipe) where the shank and airway vectors don't match. That means I'd need to reposition the block anyway. Besides, it only takes a few seconds to do it the way I do it now anyway.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

chuck

Post by smokepiper »

Looks like this chuck just have a nonadjusting set of jaws, just a bolt that is holding the block in place...
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

This is a fantastic chuck. The jaws are adjustable by way of an allen bolt. They have knurled faces and pins that allow the block to pivot for drilling the airhole and tobacco chamber on the same axis without any alignment whatsoever. If you drill pipes on a lathe using this method, this chuck will ensure almost certain accuracy. They're now made of very light aircraft aluminium and can be ordered to fit in your 3-jaw chuck. This cuts down on time spent changing things out. FWIW, it is possible to make something similar, but this chuck sports features you're unlikely to know you need, and certainly probably don't have the capability to create. I'm not suggesting everybody go out and buy one, but these are what the professionals use. Danish/American design, and American craftsmanship. These are created in a world class machine shop by a machinist who's been doing this for 30+ years, and has been working directly with pipemakers for the last 6.

Best,

Todd
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

with this type of jig, if your drilling something other than a straight pipe, you will have to reset the jig for the mortise hole. However, this jig assures a perfect junction of the tobacco chamber and the air hole. Of course you still have to decide when the length of hole is right.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

True, but it's really easy to line it up for the mortise. Just make an indentation on the layout line on the block and set the pins. Can't miss!

It really does make life a lot easier. At least for me.
smokepiper

these chucks are they just for drilling?

Post by smokepiper »

I have an alignment chuck 2 jaws from Ken it´s a remade wood lathe chuck. I can only drill blocks with it and shapings have to be made by hand, i have seen other 2 jaws but metallathe chucks that are used for shapings as well. Could this one be used for shapings of bowl and shank?