acrylic stem insert

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tano

acrylic stem insert

Post by Tano »

Shortly after the Phantom of the Opera came this pipe. the object was to work with acrylic. I thought an acrylic stem insert would be apropriate, and this was the result.

Tano

ckr

Post by ckr »

The shape is very similar to your 'Phantom of the Opera' but it seems you chose to take some of the 'stubbiness' out of it. I think it came out very well.
Also, nice job on the ?dark amber? stem, the fishtail, bend and button look excellent. I have not decided if I like the 'cone thing-a-ma-bob with the straight cut down' yet. It is a contrasting shape on an otherwise gracefully curved shape - my eye is drawn directly to it. Since it seems to be the focal point to me it was more difficult to appreciate the rest of the pipe (IMHO).

But I'd light it up in a minute!
Last edited by ckr on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

You know, I've been muddling around with the same thing --- but only in what I think of as my mind, and then only in spare moments, of which there are few --- as a way to get away from the great metal ring at the end of the shank on (are they called) military stems? Them-one-things what Peterson uses on their pipes. I know, I know, they leave great unfilled gaps in the airway, but, cor, they're virtually unbreakable and they don't stick and you can take 'em apart any old time the mood strikes you. In a way I do agree w/ ckr . . . but just about any way you look at it it's gonna be an inellegant joint. (I don't know if there's an answer. If there is, I sure haven't thought of it, or even seen it, yet.) I guess, Tano, it boils down to this: Gee, I wish I'd done it first. Very nice work. I like it.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice indeed. I like the feel of this pipe. The shank extension adds a bit of elegance. Very sharp indeed.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Thanks for the comments Guys.
Best to all.

Tano