Pipe #6: Rusticated

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

Pipe #6: Rusticated

Post by Heinz_D »

My #6 was just finished! In case of bad luck with the briar again, I had to rusticate it, but the result looks very fine for me!

This one was strictly made from the plan so I managed exact dimensions! Because I saw very early that I had to rusticate, I kept the dimensions I planed befor the first cut...

The rustication was made with a Dremel and 2 mm drillbit in hours of work! The Finish was stained with bright mahagoni, Danish Oil and carnauba. The stem is handcut of cumberland.

Some more pictures:

It's a smaller pipe, just 12 cm long, but 6 cm high. The tobacco chamber is 18 mm in diameter and 43 mm deep. Some issues on the bowls border from bad briar, but I didn't wanted to shorten it. Some stain ran into the tobacco chamber - but over all I'm very satisfied with this one... :wink:

Any comments or questions?

Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

the Stummel/Shank junction looks stockier than it could be. Was that your plan, or are you timid about taking off too much wood there?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Hi Craig,

that was my plan... The shape and dimensions are nearly exact as I planed on paper befor starting this pipe. Does it look too stocky? I thought about it, but because the bowl is tall, I thought it would be looking well...?

Greetings,

Heinz_D
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Looking again at the height of the bowl, I see what you had in mind. It is a smart looking pipe for sure. It is always hard to get a good three dimensional idea with a two dimensional photo.

I think I'd not mess with it! :thumb:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

No more commenst? :oops:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
BD

Post by BD »

Heinz,

I like the rustication and the smooth rim. What is your technique for doing the rustication?

Thh only thing that gets me is the proportion of height to length - it just doesn't feel right when I look at it.

Just my opinion. Overall I like it!!

Bill
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

I did the rustication with a 2 mm drill bit and a dremel. It's a lot of work, but with rather fine results. Just cutting off about 2 mm with the beveled applied drill bit and continuing to criss-cross...

I tried to make a variate of an chimney, but the stem could be a little bit longer... :oops:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Great looking stemwork there bud. I really like the shape too. The soft transition from stem to shank works well with the Danishy look of the bowl and finish.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Heinz,
Very nice looking pipe. The rustification is really looks good, and I may utilize that technique (Dreml and bit) for my next pipe. Did you use a regular bit or was it a "grinding" tip?

The cumberland stem is nearly perfect from what I can see. How thick is it just behind the button? From one of the first pictures it looked somewhat thicker than I would prefer, but again it may be the photo.

I particularly like the color of the stain, it matches the cumberland very nicely.

There seems to be a slight symetry issue on the photo showing the bottom of the bowl(photo 5)...it seems to protrude differently on the right from the left. However, that may be just the angle of the photo.

All in all, I really like the pipe.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Jamie,

the bit was a regular one in an equipment box. 4 different bits and a lot of other tools.

You're right with the stem - could be a little bit thinner behind the button... I didn't managed to do a perfect shape of the stem, want to say, the transition from the shank to the button should be plunging down a little bit more!

I just measured with a calliper gage: You're right again, but ther are two issues: The bowl is about 1 mm thicker to the left side and the curve from the shank is a little bit sharper on the left side too. If you look straight on the pipe you nearly can't see it but with the angel of the photo... :oops:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D