Phantom of the Opera

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tano

Phantom of the Opera

Post by Tano »

Hi All, hope you are enjoying the summer.
The name for this pipe came to me after it was finished, it seemed quite obvious. After I took the picture I decided to precarbonize the bowl. On several pipes I've had problem controlling the stain, causing runs.
Any coments?
Tano
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's difficult to judge based on one photo. However, from what I can see:
- the stem/shank junction is very tight
- the stem ring is the perfect size (is that olive wood?)
- great choice on colors, great contrast between stem ring and bowl

I was going to comment that the shank/bowl transition could be sharper, but on this pipe it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. It seems to fit in with the rest of the shape. But like I said, a single photo isn't enough to draw any real conclusions.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

That is not a bad looking pipe. How many pipes had you made before this one? My only suggestion would urge you not to be afraid to take off more wood.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'll echo John and Kurt. Nice pipe!

As far as getting a little stain in the top of the bowl, that's almost unavoidable.

To remove it, I chuck a steel dowel wrapped in sandpaper in my drill press, turn it on and run the bowl around the dowel to sand it out.

Rad
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I will also echo all the previous statements. You have some fine compliments from some great pipe makers there.

Great looking pipe, I really really like the staining as well as everything else about the pipe. Nice job.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

Thank You all for your comments and I do acknowledge that some come from great pipe makers.
This would be my seventh pipe. I do have other picture that I will try to post soon.
Yes Kurt that is olive wood and cumberland stem.

Best to all.
Tano
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Looks better than my seventh pipe that is for certain
Tano

Post by Tano »

Here are the other pics of the phantom of the opera.
Tano

p.s. Kurt, when you are seting up your pipes to take pics, what do you use to hold them up? I would not think you are holding them by hand, because I read that you do long exposures, and that would create a blur wouldn't it?
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Tano, that's gorgeous! Really fine. As for you question to Kurt, I don't know, but what a lot of people would use is Florist's Clay (or florist's gum) which is kinda sticky but wipes off nicely. Great stuff for photography use.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Very nice, Tano. That pipe has a lot of character! I like it.

I use a pipe cleaner to hold the pipe for pics. I stick both ends of one in the stem and form a loop at the bottom to hold up the pipe. Not a great solution, but it works and doesn't detract terribly from the pipe.(I usually crop most of the pipe cleaner out of the pic anyway!)

David
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Some pipes will stand on their own, but most get held up with a small file stuck in the slot. That file is held in a pony clamp and propped on a block of briar or something. That fact that you didn't notice means it must be at least partially successful. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

Kurt I think it's very successful and unobtrusive. It gives the appearance that the pipe is floating in air, also allowing for the light to reach under the shape and aliminate any shadows, correct?
Now, can you describe the pony clamp?
Tano.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A pony clamp:

Useful for holding thin things together, or as an extra set of hands.

In all my photos, the pipe is actually resting on a curved white posterboard background so that there's no distractions of shadows back there. Also, the shadows under the pipe don't exist (largely) because of the light diffusion tent I use.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com