#3 finished

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

#3 finished

Post by Heinz_D »

Hello,

after some trouble with bad briar now I catched a nearly perfect piece of wood:

After planning on the smaler side of the plateau I got out the blank shape with my band saw:

Grinding the bowl I saw some little spots, but nothing to worry about and all disapearing with grinding - up to the shank, wher I got a big hole in the briar again! So I had to shorten the bowls length on both sides 2 mm, what made the bowl a little bit rounder as planned. Grinded with 100, 240, 400 up to 600 grid and adjusting the handcut ebonit stem I got this:

I decided to use a contrast stain with mahagoni and ocker, followed by a glossy shellack finish and got this:

Image Image

Only one spot couldn't be removed by grinding (look at the arrow):

Carnaubawax polish is still missing on the pictures (but done) and finally I'm quiet happy with this "giant" so far. :D

The metric dimensions are:

Length: 160 mm (Mouthpiece 62 mm). hight 50 mm, bowl length 64 mm, bowl width 50 mm, tobacco chamber diameter 24 mm, depth 42 mm.

Any comments?

Heinz_D
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hello Heinz,

That is some beautiful grain. Looks like you carved that pipe in perfect relation to the grain, very nice.

Great job.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
flix

Post by flix »

Heinz,
Very fortunate catch indeed! I like the pipe very much, esp., as said before, how you exploited the natural flow of the grain in the carving. So sad to see the flaw...