Three of My Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

Three of My Pipes

Post by PapaDuke »

Here's three pipes I don't think I've shown anyone here?
Really nothing special on any of them just felt like posting. I do like the grain on the second one.

The first two just sold on eBay and the last I'm not sure what to do with.

The shank has buffalo inlay. Not at all happy with the connection between the stem and the shank. Plus I figured out black next to back looks like all one piece? I need to put it inside the briar next time.

This is my PickAxe Version with Natural Antler Inlay on the stem. It looks a feels a lot better then this picture.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

You're really goin' to town on this, aren't you? Number two is a sweet-looking pipe -- nice shape, pretty stain. You're right about the black-on-black; unless you can see it better up close, I'd guess the effect is wasted. The stem on number three is, I think, overkill. The busyness of the triple humps detracts from the antler, which should be the focal point for this pipe -- and the bend is too sharp. IMHO. And in both one and two, the shank looks a little lumpy, no? BUT, I'd say that your attention to the finish -- i.e., your patience -- is getting better and better. Especially with that number two. Pretty pipe!
Tano

Post by Tano »

I agree with the constructive comments, on the other hand I can relate to your enthusiasm. every part of a pipe is a challenge and we are all eager to show our ability to turn a stem or, add an insert, or build a stem from rod stock, even bending a stem, but we tend to bunch all these things together.
I am by no means an expert, but my suggestion would be to zero in on your focus i.e the beautifull insert, let that be your focus of the pipe, next time the turned stem, as well as the bend, etc, etc...
Otherwise very nice.
Tano