Pipe Number FOUR

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

Pipe Number FOUR

Post by PapaDuke »

I spent the day getting beat up over this one.

Started out really good, then hit some bad wood so I had to rethink the whole shape and keep carving. This led to having to take some of the shank off as it looked to long? Then THAT led to having to reshape the stem (which I've never done before, let alone I've never polished a stem! Oh what fun)

I still have another coat of wax to put on and more polishing to do to the stem. Then take better pictures and I'm officially done.

All in all I survived this pipe!

This is what the stem looked like..
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

If I give some constructive critique, please do not believe I don't like it at all…

1. The line the flat part of the stem suggests towards the pipe is changed somewhat abrupt in the area shank/stem junction. can you bend the stem? it would make a more harmonic line!

2. There seems something wrong with the thin shank at the bowl widening as it goes up to the shank/stem junction. I might try to flatten the top, so it gives a more proportional line. If this leads to a more oval shank, OK (as long as you don't get close to the airway.

3. I think the rusticated area should not jump back below the surface line that would be there if not rusticated. It looks too "taken away". Sand back the flat surface areas of the bowl, so the bowl contour forms one swinging line again.

Sumthin like that:

It's always easy to fineshape pipes via Photoshop! 8)
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Wow you do good work with photoshop.
I kept looking at your picture thinking why didn't my shank show up the way I carved it?? :)

Thanks for the input!
I think David said the same thing about the shank.
But that's actually the design I was trying to get? Sort of a bullet shape?

I'd like to hear more on the rustification? I didn't really get what you where saying and something just doesn't work for my eye on that line between the two either?
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Maybe it's easier to see in a gif:

Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Good job on the animation!
And thanks for taking the time to do that so I can see the difference.

I do see just what you're saying on both the bowl and the shank. And I must confess that I do like your version very much the more I look at it.

I'm going to have to stick with "The Bullet" shape of the Shank / Stem.
For one, I ran into so many spots on that wood I'm afraid to cut into it again. And I just sort of like the flow of the stem?? It's different from what I'll most likely make.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Here's some better pics

PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

The pipe sold for $49.99 and is heading to it's new owner "Wolfgang" in Germany.

I guess I just went international? haha...
Hey I sold a Basset Puppy to someone overseas so all things are possible!