trying to find Bo´s shapes but......

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smokepiper

trying to find Bo´s shapes but......

Post by smokepiper »

Bo is a true wizzard with his pipes and i can´t for the world find his shapes in grace like he´s making them...Image
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Is there a question here . . . ? :think:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
smokepiper

question

Post by smokepiper »

somehow however I try there is a major differens to what Bo shapes. The snail is truely beautyful but.. something is missing! Not the mouthpiece now cause it´s not fitted in yet but there ´s i don´t know???
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

I have seen some of those nautilus shaped pipes – in pics. I don't want to refer too much to them now. Looking at your pic alone, the following thoughts rise in my mind:
  • The curve from top of the bowl to the area of the mouthpiece fit seems harmonic.
    From there on the curve leaves the construction of a spiral. If the thing was made of clay, I would say, it looks a bit, as if it had been some kind of "tail", that was bent to the front to stick to the bowl.
    In my ideal, the center area of the spiral element has to be circular, or it will always misguide the eye to some "disharmonic" perception.
    If you had been going on with a "perfect" (what ever that may be, since there are different possible schemes) spiral, then it would have been clearly rising over the top of the bowl. I think this balance problem is the main thing. If the radius of the intended spiral had decreased faster in the first part of the curve, then it might have matched in the end. The other way would be to start with a "higher" bowl. But that would probably have made a real big peace of wood.
Some pics of the shells of a nautilus. They come pretty close to some unwritten harmonic proportion laws in design work. I am working on a logo for a lawyer at the moment. It contains the idea of such spiral element. It's not that easy to draw – let alone carve…