cavalier

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

cavalier

Post by notow1 »

This is My first attempt at a cavalier. I would appreciate any advice and critiques for adjustments I should make, thanks, Norm.ImageImageImageImageImage
JMG

Re: cavalier

Post by JMG »

I hesitate to offer critique as I don't really know much about a Caviler, but maybe this will jump start the discussion. Firstly, the transition from bowl to shank is too sharp. Maybe next time try using a slightly larger diameter rounded transition. The "back" of the shank is wonky. It needs to either run straight or have a continuous curve. It appears you were going for a slight curve, but it dips in and out (doesn't seem to late to fix this IMO.) The shank side of the bowl seems to tall to my eyes. That could just be a preference so I'd wait for someone who actually knows a thing or two to chime in. It just feels like the overall balance would feel better if the shank-side of the bowl was more parallel to the ground while sitting.

I love the stem color. I think it would have looked better had your used that same material on the bottom of the pipe instead of the clear bit. The clear material just doesn't work visually with the pipe IMO. Lastly, I think it would have looked better if the bowl was about 1/2" or so farther down the shank.

All that said, kudos on making a caviler. I haven't been ballsy enough to try one yet and yours isn't a bad attempt at all.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
notow1

Post by notow1 »

JMG, Thanks for the feedback. I know there are problems but if they are fixable I want to do that. I was hoping to get some opinions and then make the final adjustments. Most of the time another set of eyes can see the stuff that I miss. Thanks for Your suggestions, Norm.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'm horrible with photoshop, but I maybe this will show you what I'm talking about...

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad