An Editorial

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
TreverT

Re: An Editorial

Post by TreverT »

Mike, I notice one thing you might want to correct about your website - You appear to have the dollar and euro values backwards in every listing. Currently one euro is worth $1.38, but you're listing euro prices as being considerably higher than dollar prices when it should be the other way around. FYI!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

TreverT wrote:Mike, I notice one thing you might want to correct about your website - You appear to have the dollar and euro values backwards in every listing. Currently one euro is worth $1.38, but you're listing euro prices as being considerably higher than dollar prices when it should be the other way around. FYI!
Oh, Damn, and I knew that the Euro was more valuable. I multiplied Dollars x 1.4 instead of dividing, and didn't even think about it.
Once, I was turning a tenon, and I needed to go about 1/32 smaller in diameter, and so I kept turning until I had cranked off another 30 thousandths on the cross slide. Not so easy to fix.
Thanks, so much, Trever.
I'll fix it.
M.M
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Mr. Messer,
Noticed you chased a sandpit, which I'm certain you actually meant fissure on your "Lifeform" pipe, which I am certain, once again, you meant "Life Form".
This is a no-no. Otherwise, you might end up with an eye (apologies for being redundant), for which I'm certain you meant crater.
Gosh, your pipes sure are expensive.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

He's a serious, professional pipemaker, Bruce. Watch it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

baweaverpipes wrote:Mr. Messer,
Noticed you chased a sandpit, which I'm certain you actually meant fissure on your "Lifeform" pipe, which I am certain, once again, you meant "Life Form".
This is a no-no. Otherwise, you might end up with an eye (apologies for being redundant), for which I'm certain you meant crater.
Gosh, your pipes sure are expensive.
You're too deep for me bweaves, but... I never could spell worth a damn, but in titles, you can take certain liberties with spelling.
Pricing is really tough. I went through a lot of research which was just confusing. I was just looking at some Talbert pipes which are nothing short of phenominal, and his prices range from less than mine to about 50% more, and I don't consider my pipes to be in the same league with his.
Maybe, later I will have more pipes and I will lower the price.
or
Maybe, later I will have more pipes and I will raise the price?

So, when I got to bottom line. I like the pipes, and that is currently how many US Dollars it's gonna take to pry those pipes out of my hands and keep me from smoking 'em.

P.S. How do you like my stamp? (avatar)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Sasquatch wrote:He's a serious, professional pipemaker, Bruce. Watch it.
So true....serious...professional...pipemaker (but technically, hobbyist, for zoning, business license, and tax purposes)
But no problem, fire away.
I tried to post in the Gallery yesterday, so you guys could critique if you so desire, but I couldn't get the images to link. It should have worked, I tried for half-an-hour, but it didn't, so I cancelled (time is money, you know, or is it the other way arrounnddd?).
Last edited by Mike Messer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

To get pics to act right you have to use a photo share site like photobucket or something.
Just copy and paste the link with

[IMG]

before it and

[/IMG]

at the end of it. It took me forever to get it right, I believe it's the "Direct link" URL? Can't remember exactly at the moment.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
mredmond
Site Supporter

An Editorial

Post by mredmond »

Mike,

I'm not a pro, so take this as you will...it's intended to be constructive, but I think you might have issues selling a pipe with a big sand pit hole in the side for $550. You referenced Trever's prices, but did you look closely at his pipes? I suspect you won't find many sandpit "eyes" on his.

- Micah

P.s. I'm thoroughly amused that after the DHPM silliness/debacle that one of the first pipes you show is inspired by an Ivarsson.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Mike Messer wrote: Pricing is really tough. I went through a lot of research which was just confusing. I was just looking at some Talbert pipes which are nothing short of phenominal, and his prices range from less than mine to about 50% more, and I don't consider my pipes to be in the same league with his.
Maybe, later I will have more pipes and I will lower the price.
or
Maybe, later I will have more pipes and I will raise the price?

So, when I got to bottom line. I like the pipes, and that is currently how many US Dollars it's gonna take to pry those pipes out of my hands and keep me from smoking 'em.

P.S. How do you like my stamp? (avatar)
Mr. Messer,
Yes, pricing is tough. Keep in mind, Trevor has made many, many pipes and has been around for quite some time. He has contributed to the hobby, attended shows, is well know to collectors and is well received. Like most pipe makers, including this hillbilly, pricing for our pipes began in the sub $200 range (and NOT $199, but much less).

I appreciate the pride you have taken in your work and can understand that their worth in your eyes, but this is not the case with buyers. They don't know you, your work is marginal and there really are "dues" to be paid.

Please take the following as only constructive help. Your "Lifeform" pipe has mediocre grain, the symmetry is off and it has an enormous flaw. I would load that puppy up and enjoy it as a shop pipe. "Tug" could have been a cute little nose warmer. It needs a saddle stem and more care should be given in the in the stem/shank area......they're rounded and not flush. The grain appears to be nice, but you didn't take advantage of the birds eye with a nice contrast stain.

I don't know how to comment regarding your stamp, other than it's a stamp. A stamp is simply an identifier.

Give this some thought. Todd and I have opened "The Briar Studio", a fully equipped studio, where we have other pipe makers working and we offer lessons to aspiring pipe makers. You, as well as others, might consider this offering. Believe me, there is a LOT to learn and, to be honest, I learn something every day to improve the process. Yes, there is a process to making a quality hand made briar pipe. Believe it or not, even Todd learns new things in improving the process. Working with pipe makers that know the process and are willing to help is invaluable. Every pipe maker that has worked with us have commented that more is learned in one day than they have learned in years, toiling away solo.

One can contact me or Mr. Johnson. We offer classes varied to individual needs.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

baweaverpipes wrote:...(above)...
bweaves, (if you don't mind me calling you, bweaves. I think it sounds cool.) would you please quit calling me, Mr. Messer, you sound like a school teacher.

Oh, I forgot, you and Todd just opened a pipemaking school. I'm sure it's a good one, and you and Todd could teach me a lot, but I'm just not situated right for that in many ways.

I think you misunderstood my reference to Talbert pipes. In it I said my pipes aren't in the same league with his, confirming your criticism of my prices.
But then I said...That's the price, so go figure.

Thanks for the critique, though, good or bad. The worse thing in the world is to be ignored. I'll give it due consideration.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Mike Messer wrote: I was just looking at some Talbert pipes which are nothing short of phenominal, and his prices range from less than mine to about 50% more, and I don't consider my pipes to be in the same league with his.
Hey Mike,
I think that statement is rather telling. You don't consider your pipes to be in the same league as his, yet you price yours the same. Nothing wrong with asking a certain price for a pipe, but it seems unlikely that you'll get it... and you might piss some people off in the process.

Take a look at Adam Remington's pipes; he's a newer maker as well. He does great work, and has gotten great reviews, but he's far more affordable than you (a name virtually unknown in the community). I'd consider asking somewhere in the $100 price range for the first pipe, and just under that for the second. I'm a newbie too, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Well, asked price is just that, asked price. The market will decide.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

I like to see myself as the apprentice and cherish the fact that i contiually learn new things in this craft 15 years after making my first ugly pipe.hoestly its one of the things i value the most about making pipes.the day I know it all is the day its time to move on..

Mike I have experienced similar attitude from people getting into pipes several times before and have never seen good things come from it... especially anything benificial to the maker in question..alienating yourself with bad attitude will only leave you lonley in a very small world where we need all the help we can get from each other.

There is enough war and attitude already in the big world out there our little world should be filled with roses and tiny clouds of perfect smoke :roll:
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies." :ROFL:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SWM

Post by SWM »

You are weird!

Well, midnight over here. Time for my round, rattling and clinking my chains and creeping into the dreams of people...

...like You!!!

I'm off...

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, I'll see you shortly then. I'm on some allergy medicine that made my dreams exceedingly vivid and strange. And it tends to knock me out cold for almost exactly 5 hours, after which I can't sleep a wink. :shock:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SWM

Post by SWM »

KurtHuhn wrote:Well, I'll see you shortly then.
That would be my pleasure.

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

geigerpipes wrote:...(edited by M.)....alienating yourself with bad attitude will only leave you lonley in a very small world where we need all the help we can get from each other......
I know in the past I had some very heavy attitude going, but I have to say in my defense, there was a lot of attitude incoming. I stopped posting for about eight months to avoid that sort of thing. It's a pain.
So, correct me if I am wrong. I would really like to know. In this topic, have I been exibiting bad attitude? I thought I was being polite, for example, in my response to baweaverpipes' warped attack on my pipes. Now, there's some attitude.
M.M.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You're beautiful like a rainbow, Mike.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Last edited by e Markle on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.