Trouble seeing it...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
flix

Re: Trouble seeing it...

Post by flix »

RadDavis wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Don't overplay the unique character angle.
:lol: Agreed. A "unique take" on a shape has to look like it's done on purpose and make sense to the eye and be beautiful. You shouldn't have to explain to people that, "Well, I know it looks sort of screwed up, but I did that on purpose." :wink:
I'm really not sure about what is meant by refining the bowl-shank transition, though. Could you be a little more specific? In other words, I'm afraid of making it too thin in that area.
Bring the shank in on the sides where it meets the bowl. You can safely remove quite a bit material on each side of the shank with no worries, and it'll give you a lot more definition.

Rad
Rad,

Thanks for the suggestion, also will seriously consider and execute if deemed good and pleasing to the eye.
--flix
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

RadDavis wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Don't overplay the unique character angle.
:lol: Agreed. A "unique take" on a shape has to look like it's done on purpose and make sense to the eye and be beautiful. You shouldn't have to explain to people that, "Well, I know it looks sort of screwed up, but I did that on purpose." :wink:
I'm really not sure about what is meant by refining the bowl-shank transition, though. Could you be a little more specific? In other words, I'm afraid of making it too thin in that area.
Bring the shank in on the sides where it meets the bowl. You can safely remove quite a bit material on each side of the shank with no worries, and it'll give you a lot more definition.

Rad
Beyond the basics, other posibilities, particularly from an art perspective...
Unique art would almost have to break some rules, any rule, all rules, :lol: else it would not be unique, and it isn't always what would commonly be called beautiful...might be interesting in other ways. Some of the best art, I think, is not contrived or constructed.
So, it really depends on your objective, talent, and etc. and how you want to play it or not play it would be better. :wink:
When you are "there", you know it, and at that point, criticism, skeptics, opinions don't really matter.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

criticism, skeptics, opinions don't really matter.
Of course they do. Otherwise, you're just masturbating.

Rad
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

RadDavis wrote:

Rad
No. When you are really tight, pure, crystalline, you know it, absolutely. It's no ego trip... you're enlightened, aware, knowledgeable. Everything clicks, you hear the crack when you swing the bat, and you know it's going out of the park, and while it would be nice if the critics agreed with you, if they do or if they don't, it changes nothing, so therefore, it really doesn't matter what they think. You see what I mean?
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

RadDavis wrote:

Rad
My original reply post was never posted. All of my posts must be approved by an administrator before they are posted, and they never posted it.
In essence, if you are a skilled and talented craftsman, artist, you know when you have achieved a significant work. If any critic, all critics disagree, that would not be especially rare. Skepticism is common in relation to any radical departure from the current "..ism."
This is not, as you call it, "masturbating," but simply knowing what you are doing, and having the guts to go against the current.
It's the difference between catering to the market and producing cheap consumer products (political platforms, etc.) and making high quality original work, if you have the talent, skill, etc.