Petite Dublin...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Petite Dublin...

Post by JMG »

I had planned this to be a nose warmer, but made some shaping errors and so it sort of just turned into a petite dublin. I think I put too much angle on the back (shank side) of the bowl.) I would really appreciate your critiques/advice. Thanks guys.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
notow1

Re: Petite Dublin...

Post by notow1 »

Is that a natural finish with just wax? I'm still struggling to get a super shiny finish and that looks good to Me, Norm.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Yeah, that is just a natural finish. I sanded to 800 grit, then went to a brown tripoli on the buffing wheel, carnuba wheel, excess wax taker-offer wheel, and a final flannel buff.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The slot looks like it needs to be cut wider. Consider that you're loosing height in the airway at the slot so you compensate by widening it so you don't lose volume. The button looks a little thick but that may be a proportion thing because it's a smaller pipe. Other than that I think it looks really good.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

wdteipen wrote:The slot looks like it needs to be cut wider. Consider that you're loosing height in the airway at the slot so you compensate by widening it so you don't lose volume. The button looks a little thick but that may be a proportion thing because it's a smaller pipe. Other than that I think it looks really good.
You're definitely right, the button needed to be slimmed down. I wish I had a good excuse, but honestly I just got lazy with this one. Opening up the slot is my next "big thing" to work on. I will be modify some tools this week...wish me luck. I think I will practice on some lucite so I can actually see through it to see what exactly I am doing.