swollen shank

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

swollen shank

Post by notow1 »

Okay, while wet sanding the stem I got the shank too wet and it swelled. Has Anyone done this and if so will the shank dry enough to get to where it was? Any how all comments and advice are welcome, Norm.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
sandahlpipe

Re: swollen shank

Post by sandahlpipe »

I really want to know the answer to this as well.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I dont know the answer, but I would leave the stem out until the shank is totally dry.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I don't think leaving the stem out until the shank is dry is a good idea. You don't want the moisture to swell in the mortise and make the mortise too small. Leave the shank and stem attached as much as possible while the material stabilizes.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I think that would have the opposite effect. Only one way to find out.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

I was thinking the same as Jeremiah, plus I was glad the shank didn't crack when it swelled. Right now it is still a good fit, Norm.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

When making your mortise and it is dry take a Q tip and apply some shellac or beeswax, I use shellac, and let it dry then it will stabilize the mortise and prevent this. Don't force the tenon back in while wet, taking a chance on it cracking.If it's not too bad and just real tight put some graphite on the tenon and it should go in.Always stabilize the mortise, since you will be selling pipes to climates all over the world. Hope this helps! John.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I forgot, the mortise almost always goes back to the original size.. The graphite trick is just to make sure. You still have to stabilize it.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

pipedreamer wrote:When making your mortise and it is dry take a Q tip and apply some shellac or beeswax, I use shellac, and let it dry then it will stabilize the mortise and prevent this. Don't force the tenon back in while wet, taking a chance on it cracking.If it's not too bad and just real tight put some graphite on the tenon and it should go in.Always stabilize the mortise, since you will be selling pipes to climates all over the world. Hope this helps! John.
This is another thing where I have to say, Why didn't I think of this? Thanks John I am going to do this from now on, Norm.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've never had a problem with shanks swelling because I don't typically wet sand and when I have I use minimal amounts of water. I do stabilize my mortises with 1/2 cut shellac.

It's not a bad looking pot although I think you took a bit too much off the heel and the sides of the bowl almost look like they taper outwards like a Dublin toward the rim. The stem looks to be a bit wobbly and out-of-round. Make sure your turning the stem 1/4 turns as you shape and sand to keep it round. Your getting better with each pipe, Norm. Keep it up.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Post by Alden »

Nobodys gonna make a swollen shank joke ?!???
Sas you are slacking dude.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Alden wrote:Nobodys gonna make a swollen shank joke ?!???
Sas you are slacking dude.
I have been waiting all day, Norm.