Bent Acorn

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Bent Acorn

Post by kamkiel »

Please have a look at my pipe! Tell me what you think.

Thanks

Kiel
Literaryworkshop

Re: Bent Acorn

Post by Literaryworkshop »

What's the shank extension made out of? Horn? Too bad about that big pit, but the rest of the grain looks nice.

I really like the shape of the bowl. The stem, not so much.
- Steve S.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Yep, the shank extension is horn. The horn was cracking or separating(?) on the two outer most layers of it, so I used some super glue to fill it in.

The big pit started as a small pit and turned into what we see in the picture. I kind of like it though. It looks like some kind of tattoo or something.

As far as the stem goes, it is my first time to turn my own tenon and I feel pretty happy about that. Maybe its one of those "faces only a mother could like" kind of deal here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kiel
socrates

Post by socrates »

Nice, I like it.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Why did you choose to make the shank turn?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

d.huber wrote:Why did you choose to make the shank turn?
Good question! A couple of months back I was practicing drilling for bent pipes (still am...) and I drilled this piece of wood. Originally I wanted to do a Rhodesian, but failed and threw the piece into the fail/come-back-later box. I chucked it because the top of the bowl and the end of the shank weren't aligned. If I put a stem coming straight off it, it wouldn't have come straight up the pipe. I curved it so I could have a better chance to line it up with the top of the pipe. I finished it off with a slight twist on the stem to make it even.

I don't if what I did was correct. It wasn't planned this way, but it seems to work. The mistakes I made early on are slowly being correct now, and the mistakes I make now, well, go in the box for later.

Sorry for a lengthy answer, or if I didn't answer clear enough.

Kiel
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

No worries. Sounds like it was a good exercise. In the future, I'd recommend avoiding that move unless it's a design element that works in harmony with the composition.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks man! It was fun to do. I liked seeing something chucked to the side finally getting finished.