Rhodesian #2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RobEsArt

Rhodesian #2

Post by RobEsArt »

I completed this Rhodesian yesterday. The stummel is Algerian plateaux briar with an ebonite shank ring. The stem is ebonite with a mother of pearl acrylic inlay. Sandblasted bowl bottom and shank with a smooth bowl top. Bowl is coated.

There are two inclusions (metal?) in the ebonite. One in the stem - top near the bit, and one in the shank ring - bottom side. They are not visible in the photos. Question... Are they problematic? I understand sanding them out is the way to remove them... however, the bit is .135" so I am a little nervy about sanding further there. The one near the bit showed up at the 320 step, and is still there after polishing. The shank ring one appeared at 600.

This is the second Rhodesian I have attempted.
The first one did not turn out well... It finally happened... I shaped through the top of the shank right into the airway.

I appreciate all comments and critiques.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

RobE
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Rhodesian #2

Post by baweaverpipes »

There's a lot of glitz on this pipe........mainly the stem.
I think the saddle should be pinched a lot more, it doesn't meld well with the shank. It's fatter than the shank and throws off the symmetry.
To be honest, what do I know, ask Rod Davies!!!!
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Bruce, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will be working on more variations of this pipe, I like this shape a good deal, and I will consider your suggestions.

RobE
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I have to agree with Bruce here. Pinch the saddle stem, it'll lighten the feel of the whole pipe a TON! Also, I'd do without the accent ring. In this case it's superfluous and distracting.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Bruce and Yeti, I agree with both of you regarding the saddle. This one however has a delrin tenon, the next one will have an integral tenon. Experience is teaching me when to use one or the other.

Bruce, I was actually looking at Rad's work while I was designing this pipe. Not to copy from directly, but as inspiration.

Thank you both for your time and your thoughts.