Try number two on a pot.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
i.keenum

Try number two on a pot.

Post by i.keenum »

Last time I did a squat pot and was advised to try something more traditional and get away from the squat shape. Tried to stick to a better idea of a traditional pot shape. Feel like I rounded a little too much and edged into billiard territory.

It was from a tinsky kit with a preform vulcanite. Took the button down to about 1/3 the size it was don't like the waist or fish tail the stem had and took in the sides a bit to diminish how pronounced it was, if it was a blank I would have done it straight but got to work with what you got :D

Don't have a buffer yet for the stems but wet sanded up to 2500. Shaping was all files and sand papers. Feel free to tear me a new one brothers and let me know where I could of improved the shape. Thanks as always from taking away from your busy schedules to help us newbies out. :notworthy: You guys are the best.

Ocelot55

Re: Try number two on a pot.

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ian, that sir, is a fine looking pipe. Don't get me wrong, you've got a long way to go, but that's a very nice improvement over the others I've seen. Your transition may be a little too sharp. It might take some playing around to get it just right. For now, practice, practice, practice! Oh, and start drilling your own! :wink:
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

What tool should i use for a softer transition? Right now I've been using a flat file. Should I use a smaller round file or rolled up sand paper?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I use a 3mm round file for the transition and rolled up sandpaper. Works great.

The stem is a bit wobbly and pinches on the sides in odd places. But this is a definite improvement from the last. Keep it up and go make another!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

What's the bowl diameter? Most pots are around 7/8. Shaping looks pretty god.

Rad
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

ID is 3/4 walls are about 1/3 and bowl is about 1 1/2 deep.
Dodson

Post by Dodson »

Great job!