No. 10 -- straight Billiard.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe T

No. 10 -- straight Billiard.

Post by Joe T »

I think this is my best pipe yet. I still have some beginner mistakes going on... the bowl/shank junction is off center, the button isn't the best... but over all I'm pretty happy with it. Tell me what else you guys see, and feel free to offer any tricks that might help me on the stem junction... it's been my one lingering problem...

Joe Thieman
sandahlpipe

Re: No. 10 -- straight Billiard.

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's getting there.

The stem is a little short and the shank a little long to be a proper billiard. Bowl height should equal shank length and stummel and stem length should be the same.

For the stem junction, if you center your mortise in the shank and center your tenon on the stem and turn the shank and stem to the same OD, there should be only minimal off-centeredness. You eliminate what remains by rotating the stem in the shank as you sand through the grits.

Definitely clean up that slot. Fold up some sandpaper and sand down the inside of the slot until it's shiny inside.

And sand out that chamber.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com