Bent Dalmatian

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Bent Dalmatian

Post by scotties22 »

I get so tired of trying to decide if something is a bulldog or a rhodesian so i have decided to stop trying......really Nate got started on "what makes a pipe which dog" on the chat on Friday so I said I was going to stop using both :) I thought about calling it a Wiener dog since my maiden name is Wieners. But, Dalmatian is a little more random I think.

I am working on this strawberry dalmatian and am having trouble with the bottom line of the pipe. It feels like it could lose a bit more weight from the back of the bowl almost all the way to the stem. I walked away from it last night not knowing if I should leave it alone or not. The stem still needs some work, so please disregard it.

I think had I made the shank a half inch shorter this pipe would really sing.....oh well, maybe on the next one.

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
JMG

Re: Bent Dalmatian

Post by JMG »

This is strawberry wood? I've never seen one in progress/smooth...cool.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I'm no pro, so take this for what it's worth. I think it could lose just a tad bit as you described. Also, in my professional opinion as an established pipe smoker and all around awesome person, this is a Rhodesian. :mrgreen:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Shank length is fine. All it needs is a little smoothing on the bottom of the pipe. Really focus on that graceful curve. I think it looks great.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

What Ocelot said, and a very nice job on strawberry. tried to get some yesterday, but out of stock. :D
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Looking nice. I would either takes tiny bit off the bottom of the shank under the bowl. You could leave it chunky if you had made the front if the bowl come out a little further from the shank.

And that button is way too big. ;-)

Keep them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
i.b.pipes

Post by i.b.pipes »

How are bulldogs it's the one shape that scares me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Here she is all finished. Don't mind the shitty pictures...I tried taking them three times and finally gave up. I probably should have used the black backdrop that is in my lightbox....good thing I thought of that AFTER I boxed the thing up :lol:

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Yak

Post by Yak »

Pretty nice, Lady 8)

Rings could be, to my taste, narrower -- wide ones look clunky. Especially on a dainty pipe.

Also, IMO, the sweep up to the front of the pipe on the underside could be less abrupt. Rounded more like a (whatever shape in nature it pleases you to contemplate) (fruit ?) would leave more briar insulating the bottom of the chamber. Kind of the opposite of what the "Modern Danish" trip seems to mandate, but well founded in the history of pipe design -- "style" does tend to happen at the expense of functionality at times.
I think had I made the shank a half inch shorter this pipe would really sing
No (IMO). Then it would look like yet another salvage job that there are already too many of. There wants to be a balance between shank length & bowl height.