1st Bent pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

1st Bent pipe

Post by kamkiel »

I just finished this yesterday. I had some problem buffing in the shank/bowl junction and any suggestions on how to do buff that area would be greatly appreciated. I made this pipe with a piece of briar that can a crack running down the center of it. I wanted to experiment with drill on a block that already had problems. I also accidentally got a little too belt sanding happy and sanded a flat area into the top rim around the bowl. Shaping is definitely choppy at best, but I was happy I made something that resembles a bent pipe. I already smoked it once with some semois (I find it is easier to smoke all the way down to the bottom of the bowl) The pipe smoked wet so I am assuming that something went wrong with the drill. All suggestions are welcome, and thank you for looking. Oh yeah, and the button is chunky (still got to get good at those)
Attachments
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020209.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020209.png (72.25 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020142.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020142.png (202.75 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020125.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020125.png (220.56 KiB) Viewed 730 times
kamkiel

Re: 1st Bent pipe

Post by kamkiel »

Attachments
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020316.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020316.png (90.65 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020246.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020246.png (67.45 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020228.png
Unnamed QQ Screenshot20140513020228.png (37.69 KiB) Viewed 729 times
sandahlpipe

1st Bent pipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's hard to tell with the picture resolution. But it appears that your draft hole may be a little high in the mortise. This could contribute to the wet smoke. Other factors could be if the airway doesn't hit the bottom of the chamber exactly. Otherwise, it could also be a stem that has a restricted draw, or even that the wood isn't properly seasoned (I.e. Still wet).

As far as the rest of the pipe, the bowl is just a tad wide for the diameter of the shank. As for buffing the bowl/shank junction, I use the side of the buffing wheel. Just let the buffer fall into the crevice and you should be able to get it nice and shiny.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

You are right. The draft hole isn't in the center of the mortise. I had started a pilot hole that was centered, but as soon as I adjusted the drilling angle the draft hole slipped off center. I tried to counter-sink the stem as a way to prevent blocking up any of the air flow. I would like to add though that I smoked this pipe again with a different tobacco (and less enthusiasm) and it smoked pretty much dry!

I will have to do some research on the proportions of pipes. I am still kinda just winging it. My wife studied sculpting and Fresco, she can sit down when she has time and carve out very symmetrical designs. She is always telling me all the little flaws in design of the pipes I am making. She made one pipe that I drilled for her and it is pretty nice (better than I could do) I will post it on this thread later!

Thanks for your comments! This is why I love this forum.
Yak

Post by Yak »

FWIW, nice but you might want to re-think the curvature on the bottom line of the stem in relation to the top. It looks too thick for too long a distance (to my eyes) -- too straight. Then again, with the straight shank, that may be about all you can do and the top curvature might be tweakable (?)
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Yak wrote:FWIW, nice but you might want to re-think the curvature on the bottom line of the stem in relation to the top. It looks too thick for too long a distance (to my eyes) -- too straight. Then again, with the straight shank, that may be about all you can do and the top curvature might be tweakable (?)

Next time I try one of these should I make a longer stem, longer shank, or combination of the two? You are right though, the bottom of the stem stays straight right up to the "bite zone" and then suddenly curves. The whole time I was making this pipe I was thinking about a stem that I saw on one of Sas's pipes(?), which I obvious came nowhere close to mimicking. Next time I will have to bring some pictures with me to the shop so I can stay focused on what I am doing.

You wrote "FWIW" and it is worth a lot. I appreciate the feedback. I pretty much rely on this forum and its members. If I was back in the states, then I would have more readily available tools and knowledge. The current Chinese pipe makers are all in the Northeast part of China and I reside in the Southwest. I am not in contact with them, but if I was, I would have to travel across the whole country just to go and see them. So again, thank you!
sam a

Post by sam a »

you are doing lots of things right... each one is a little better than the last IMO. i'd say maybe you should back off the inlays and extensions for a bit and focus on refining your shaping and stem work.

also... for the gratuitous redundant sam harassing kiel part, i agree... if you were back in the states, you would have more readily available tools and knowledge. just sayin'.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

sam a wrote:also... for the gratuitous redundant sam harassing kiel part, i agree... if you were back in the states, you would have more readily available tools and knowledge. just sayin'.
I appreciate that
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

still figuring this out*
Last edited by kamkiel on Wed May 14, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam a

Post by sam a »

A. pic way to big

B. COME BACK JAY!!!!!!!!!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

This is the pipe my wife made for her dad

Dear Sam,

A. This should be better

B. You're a real funny guy