Freehand. (#5)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
HMalant

Freehand. (#5)

Post by HMalant »

I don't actually know what to say here. It's my 5th pipe, and the one I feel best about so far. And I figure pictures say more then words so I'll let them speak for themselves:

I know it's not a shape easily critiqued, but let me know what you think could be better?

Thanks,
Steve
Last edited by HMalant on Sun May 04, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.huber

Re: Freehand.

Post by d.huber »

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum!

This is an interesting shape for sure and you're right, it's tough to critique. I'll be happy to offer some thoughts though.

I think that the angle of the shank and stem are wrong when compared to the bowl. If the shank were tilted up toward the bowl and the stem were bent I think it'd feel a bit more balanced.

The color concept is pretty clear but, IMO, it doesn't work. I think that you could make it work with a different texture instead of just a different color. Look at Maigurs Knets' work. He does a lot of work that springs from a similar concept.

Overall, the lines are weak and lack decisive precision (but you are on pipe #2, so you're forgiven).

Get better briar and work on your symmetry or, if asymmetry is your thing, work on balancing your asymmetry.

Now go make another! :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Nice try at a Maigurs' shape ;)

In this particular pipe the main problems are: 1. unwanted asymmetry 2. edges that are not decisive/sharp enough 3. imperfect finishing and staining.

You already made it clear in your presentation that you are interested in fancy and artful shapes, we get that, so I won't repeat the standard warning that applies to new pipemakers creating such complex work. So just keep at it until you get good :)
phmann

Post by phmann »

very vaginal.
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

phmann wrote:very vaginal.
Lol!

I thought it looked very testicular. <--- Not an insult. There are some excellent pipe makers who intentionally do stuff like that. Others who might accidentally. :P

-Tyler Beard
HMalant

Post by HMalant »

Not gonna lie, my first pipe looked pretty phallic. Completely unintentional.

And thanks for the advice so far, and to reply to it in kind:

D.Huber: I completely agree with all you pointed out here. There's something about the stem that just didn't quite sit right with me too, it probably is the angle. and as far as color scheme, when I did that I had literally gotten my first thing of fiebings, and was just trying to figure out how to make the grain stick out some more. And everything else is pretty spot on too. (Pipe #5, not #2 :P)

W.Pastuch: Thanks, I'm a huge fan of just about everything he does XD and I agree with your sentiments as well.

Thanks everyone,
Steve
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Steve, it looks fun. There are a couple things that stick out to me. I agree with huber that it would work better with the angle closed up a bit.
Looking at the stain I think it is fun but a bit uneven particularly the shank on the left side from the smokers pov seems a different color that the rest.
If it were in my hand I'd be afraid of how thin the bowl/shank transition is.
Now I am new at this and and doubt I could do better. Nor, do I know the artists you mentioned (I'll go look them up) and I prefer traditional shapes. So all that to say. Weigh my input lightly. And thank you for showing it off.
Ps phallic pipes are
Great but only in purple stain.

Sent from my banana phone.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

HMalant wrote: (Pipe #5, not #2 :P)
In that case you should just hang up your hat. If you haven't figured this stuff out by pipe #5 there's no hope for you. ;)

Seriously though, not bad for #5. I look forward to #6.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You have a wart on the superior foreskin (not circumcised) :ROFL: