Eskimo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
andrew

Re: Eskimo

Post by andrew »

I always think of star trek when I see these things. It just needs some warp engines.

andrew
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

scotties22 wrote:This what I ended up with. Not going to mess with it any more. Gonna clean up the lines and finish it. Sticking with the basic shape of this design how could I improve the next one?

Personal preference, but I think the changes you made really look great!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

andrew wrote:I always think of star trek when I see these things. It just needs some warp engines.

andrew

:lol: Make it so!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It looks much better this way. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Can't wait to see it finished, well I guess I should say I hope you share it finished!

Sent from my banana phone.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Just seeing this thread. I think you're adjustment helped this one. On the next Eskimo you do, imagine cutting a straight Rhodesian with a wide shank. The angles of the shank on this look really weird in relation to the bowl. If you took a picture with the bottom line parallel to the bottom of the image, the bowl would tilt backwards. You want that bowl to have a slight forward cant just like on a straight Rhodesian.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Funny you point that out David. This one actually has a 5 degree cant. I laid it that far forward thinking that it wouldn't look pulled backwards once I shaped the shank. Something to think about for the next one for sure.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

scotties22 wrote:This what I ended up with. Not going to mess with it any more. Gonna clean up the lines and finish it. Sticking with the basic shape of this design how could I improve the next one?

scotties22 wrote:Funny you point that out David. This one actually has a 5 degree cant. I laid it that far forward thinking that it wouldn't look pulled backwards once I shaped the shank. Something to think about for the next one for sure.
I think it has more to do with your lower line than the bowl itself actually. The top line of the shank looks fine in relation to the bowl but the lower line gives the bowl an almost tilted back effect since this is a straight pipe.

If you imagine the bowl in the same position and adjust the shank down until the lower line is parallel to the bottom of the photo it makes more sense. To me at least. :)

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

The line on the shank abd the bowl have the same angle too which confuses things. The line on the side of the shank and the line around the bowl should not be parallel but angled in relationship to each other, those lines approaching a vanishing point somewhere in front of the pipe.

-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I see what you mean. I think there is room to take the extra off the bottom. Have to look at it when I get home.
www.ladybriar.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I think if you take that side line lower towards the stem end of the shank, shifting the angle of that line, you may fix it.

-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I'm not real happy with the finish. Going to sand it back to 220 and start again. I may make a few adjustments to the shape.
www.ladybriar.com