Yeti Pipe #60- Simba

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
The Smoking Yeti

Yeti Pipe #60- Simba

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Many of you are familiar with the man known as Steve Norse, owner and sole laborer at Vermont Freehand. Steve is awesome. He's like the pipemaking "fixer" the guy you call in a pinch to save your ass "Steve I fucked up my last piece of 32mm ebonite and the customer wants the pipe done in four days" BOOM ebonite is at your doorstep. That kinda shit. Steve also deserves a constellation named after him- I guess he should probably die first for that to happen.

Steve also commissioned a pipe from me- he sent me a fuckin' tiny block of Algerian briar, and a bit of aquamarine cumberland- "make me somethin' nice" he said. Well I tried, and these are the results. I hope they're nice. Buy hey- Steve says he likes it, and I can post it for critique here. So critique is what I want. The painful kind. I already know it's "nice" and "pretty" and "cool" so don't tell me that. Tell me what I can do better, what needs improving, etc.. Hurt my feelings! :D

I think last time I posted several of you guys did a great job of that- especially Tyler- I think more brutal critique is needed here. So I'm putting myself out there as a target!

Cheers!

Yeti

My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
E.L.Cooley

Re: Yeti Pipe #60- Simba

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hey yeti, did you post the pictures? It seems not. I'd start a critique with post the pics. Can't wait to see it, especially knowing it is for Steve. He really is that guy you describe.

Sent from my banana phone.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Weird when I switch to webview I can see them so sorry I'm an a**
The Smoking Yeti

You dick! :P It may be how I re-posted them. I used my website as the source for them, so it may not be compatible with your phone.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Not bad. I think the shank/bowl line looks a little off from the line of the bowl. Also, the bowl is too heavy for the shank and especially stem.

I like how you brought out the grain from every angle, though.

And I hope someone who actually knows what they're talking about chimes in. I know next to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Yeah so I switched to web view. Which was nice because it is easier to expand the photos to Zoom in. I know I am new to this but as a smoker and aspiring maker. I like it. The top of the bowl looks like it has melted down almost a fluid feel. And that blue/black Cumberland it amazing. I've been thinking on trying the red/black. So the only thing I don't like on this pipe is the line/ridge down the sides of the shank I think it would look fine on another pipe. But due to the fluid nature of this pipe I think it feels out of place. Of course take me with a grain because I know nothing.

Sent from my banana phone.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

sandahlpipe wrote: I think the shank/bowl line looks a little off from the line of the bowl.
That's a good catch Jeremiah. I agree - the light line at the transition shows heading toward a smaller footprint than the pipe actually has.

The shank cap hits the shank at an angle, which is to say, no part of the shank is at 90 degrees to the cap/stem, and the visual result of this is that the thing looks as though a piece of clay were grabbed and pulled downward, you know? And I think on a longer stem or a slinkier pipe that can be a cool effect, but here I just get lost because the shank is SO short, it's curved, there's the cap.... all sorts of angles.. holy shit!

Your finish is nice and even, the edge of the rim showing no over buffing, etc. I'd actually like to see more eccentricity in the bowl - more lean, more curves, take out more meat and really swing that thing.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Dude, that's a sweet pipe.

The only fully objective critique I have is the stem. I think you should taper it more right behind the flare and improve the bend (the shank calls for stronger curve on the mouthpiece). The way it is now there's a part of it that's almost straight and then a part that bends just a little. If you make it thinner right away it will be much easier to get a good looking bend- the ebonite will be more pliable on the whole length and it will follow a curve all the way from the flare to the button. Sanding some more after bending can also improve the line on the stem.

Other than that, it's really nice. The stummel is dynamic, the curvy rim with bark is very nice, I really like the entire shape.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

My issue is not with the workmanship, I very much admire your workmanship. There is symmetry in this pipe, specifically in the shank and stem, as well as assymetry, predominantly in the bowl. That's not a bad thing, but the way it comes together on this specific pipe, it's kind of bugging me. Symmetry and flow is something I've personally been wrestling with on my pipes as of late, which is why I picked up on it. I think a bit of assymentry in the shank would do the trick here, at least to please MY eye. Otherwise, very nicely done.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

What is the ferrule made of btw?
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
The Smoking Yeti

You mean the accent ring? box elder burl. Great stuff. Thanks for the critiques guys!

pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I admire your work, really borders on being some of the best there is, but that cap, whatever, is getting me too pulled into minor shit I don't want to see. I love your work!
P.S.
Steve is a hard worker and has never let me down and that is why I give and refer business to him first. You both have the work ethic totally down. John.
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

sandahlpipe wrote:And I hope someone who actually knows what they're talking about chimes in. I know next to nothing.
WHAT?! And I've been taking your advise on IG! :roll:
:wink:
That said, I've got nothing on this pipe! :D
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Are you going to be in chicago this year, yeti?
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
The Smoking Yeti

bregolad wrote:Are you going to be in chicago this year, yeti?
YES!

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nifty pipe, Micah. I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

d.huber wrote:Nifty pipe, Micah. I like it.
Agreed.
The Smoking Yeti

Nate wrote:
d.huber wrote:Nifty pipe, Micah. I like it.
Agreed.
I'm so happy to be nifty. I just wish I was neat...

bregolad

Post by bregolad »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
bregolad wrote:Are you going to be in chicago this year, yeti?
YES!
Sweet, I think you'll do well.
Also, it's much easier to give good and thoughtful critique in person, so that will be fun.
:twisted:
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

Simba arrived today!!!
I am more than pleased, this pipe is much better in person than in the pictures. Starting with a mini mini block, and told "show me what you got", Micah really brought the life out of the block. Great grain alignment given the minimal working room he had. Just the right bend to the stem, awesome detail work on the entire stem, impeccable staining job, just the right amount of symetry and asymetry, perfect drill, overall it is much better than anticipated. I'll have this with me at Chicago (along with a bunch of other favorite smokers), so if you want to check it out in person, find me at the show. Thanks Micah, job well done!!