Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

ImageImageImageImageImage

So here is number 3, my first attempt at a Dublin-ish shape and an inlay all in one.

Sent from my banana phone.
phmann

Re: #3

Post by phmann »

looks like a smooth seam where there is the inlay. What kind of wood is that? I'm not a pro, but I think there's some room for improvement, if you're looking for advice... thin out the stem and give it a more gradual taper throughout the entire shank and stem. The stem appears to plateau around the inlay and then steeply tapers down to the bite zone. It looks like the shank is thinner towards the bowl and that the stem is wider than the shank. From the photo it looks like the shank is off center slightly from the bowl. I don't know if that's drilling or shaping.
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
E.L.Cooley

Re: #3

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Manny, thanks for taking a look I feel like that is a good assessment. I having trouble with balance/symmetry. Of course my drilling sucks on this too. It's a Purple Heart inlay. Thanks again. Oh and you don't have to be a pro. But you recognize that my skill level is lower than yours (based on website) so you are willing to help me along my journey to mastery. Thanks again for the input.

Sent from my banana phone.